Illustrated Passage #RayRay

After reading this article, http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/03/hey-parents-leave-those-kids-alone/358631/ , I (like Maggie) didn’t really know how to feel about it at first. For those of you who don’t feel like reading the whole article, it’s about upper middle class children who play at these “adventure playgrounds” which provides “free and permissive” playing areas. Sounds okay, right? NO. These kids are describes as starting fires, using dirty mattresses to do flips, etc. At first I was like, “Okay that’s kind of funny and weird”, but for some reason, I can’t get this little voice out of my head that’s telling me that something is wrong with this, almost sad. It’s not that it’s wrong to play in areas like this, and I certainly agree that the playgrounds that children have now with just asphalt and structures that don’t foster creativity on the playground, this is taking it too far. It’s romanticizing the idea of poverty in children, and what many kids are forced to play with because of their circumstance. These kids, on the contrary, are just re-creating a sad environment slapping words like “adventure” and “creativity” on it, and pretending like that’s not a little bit wrong. So, on that note, here’s how I feel about this article: SurprisedSurprised, and a little bit disapproving. What do you guys think??