Project Update! #Rayray

As I’m about halfway into my second week of my happiness project, I have decided to tweak what I’m doing a little bit. I’ve noticed that the gratitude writing hasn’t really been working out so great for me (confession: I’ve only remembered to do it twice in the last 10 days). However, I came across something this morning that I think could be really great and fun for my project! An article I found suggests that doing something that will make you laugh at least once a day can significantly improve your daily happiness. I found this point to be really interesting: “kids laugh about 200 times per day; adults laugh an average of 15 times per day.” The author then goes on to suggest that you make an effort to do one thing daily that you know will make you laugh. It can be anything from watching a funny video to playing a game. In light of this, I’ve decided to watch one funny video a day! You may be wondering: How is she possibly going to find that many funny videos?! https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL30BFB50685A0252B

That’s how 🙂

Feel free to join me in watching one of these a day–I’m sure you won’t regret it!

Enjoy!

4 thoughts to “Project Update! #Rayray”

1. Kyla,

I think that article you found is spot on. While I was definitely surprised by how staggering the actual numbers are in regards to how many time the average kid laughs daily vs. the average adult, I think that is a great stat. There is no doubt that kids find comedy far easier than adults do. I also think it is so true that laughter stimulate happiness. It takes your mind off of everything and allows you to enjoy the moment, often putting you in a better mood for the rest of the day. My grandma always tells me that “Laughter is the best medicine.” Maybe she’s wiser than I’ve ever given her credit for. I hope you enjoy these videos and find them to be helpful.

2. Hi Kyla, thanks for your post. I wanted to share a really cool article that I found that I think could help you on your final project. http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/07/study-forcing-a-smile-genuinely-decreases-stress/260513/
    Anyway, the gist of the article is that those people who smiled experienced less stress. It’s pretty cool that our brain may interpret the fact that you smile as being happy. Good luck–I’m excited to see your final project.

3. I love your project! I confess that since you have started doing this I have been inspired to try and follow in your tracks. I now, sometimes, (when I’m not a zombie) make sure to go to the gym early in the morning so that I don’t stress about it. I have also signed up for that trackyourhappiness.org site. I have only been doing it for three days but I think that what I will find will be interesting. I think it is facts like what you have just presented, about how often adults smile compared to children, that is going to make your project be even more fascinating. I would off-set these facts so that the audience not only understands the point you are trying to make but also thinks about how frequently they have laughed today. Thus far for me today: 3 times. =]

4. Hey Kyla,

Your project sounds very interesting and exciting! I’m not sure if you thought about this while deciding on your project topic or if you have learned about it since, but this idea makes me think of the #100happydays campaign through social media that challenges participants to do one single thing that makes them happy each day. The idea behind this challenge is that the majority of us think we are “too busy” to do one simple thing each day that brings us a smile, makes us laugh, etc. If you are not already, you should totally use the website for this social media campaign as inspiration for your project!

http://100happydays.com/

Great ideas! Good luck with the remainder of your project!!