Questions For You All #RayRay #Questions

Hey everyone!

I’m working on a project for my communications course about mobile communication, and I need to complete some interviews with students about cell phone use. I have 8 open-ended questions, so you can say as much or as little as you’d like (don’t spend more than 5 minutes doing this!) If you want to answer these questions and comment this post/make your own post with the answers, we can both help eachother out!!! 🙂 Here are the questions!

Mobile Communication Defined: The use of portable technology (i.e. laptop, cell phone, iPod, tablet, etc) Could be used to go on the internet, text, call, watch TV, listen to music, go on apps, and more.

1. In what ways do you think using mobile communication in a public setting may benefit your social interactions with strangers?

2. In what ways that you think using mobile communication in a public setting may hinder your social interactions with others?

3. How often do you use your mobile phone in public settings?

4. What type of mobile communication are you engaging with in public settings and in what ways?

5. Do you feel others’ use of mobile communication in public settings benefits your ability to have social interactions with them or hinders? Why?

6. Do you feel that you are able to use your mobile technology and maintain a conversation with another person?

7. If you were stuck in an elevator with a stranger, how do you feel the presence of mobile communication would affect your interaction with that person? Why?

8. On a scale of 1-10, rate your likelihood to strike up a conversation with a stranger in a public setting in the presence of mobile communication.  Ex: If you are on the subway and are reading the news on your phone, do you feel that would help you strike up a conversation with those around you or inhibit your likelihood of striking up a conversation? 1=mobile communication would make it highly unlikely that I would strike up a conversation, 10= mobile communication would highly increase my likelihood to strike up a conversation.

2 thoughts to “Questions For You All #RayRay #Questions”

1. 1. I think it hurts your interaction because it is distracting and can easily consume all of your attention.

2. In this generation, people have very short attention spans. With all of the features and real time alerts that mobile technology now offers, it can be very difficult for people to ignore it.

3. Way too often.

4. Calls, texts, and Facebook mainly, both for social and “real life” reasons.

5. Definitely hinders. It takes their attention away from you and makes them more difficult to approach.

6. Yes, but it is definitely much easier to have a conversation without it.

7. I would be tempted to simply entertain myself with my phone rather than start a conversation.

8. 2

2. 1. I do not think it does
    2. It hinders it because I do not feel the need to interact with others when I am on my phone or computer so I don’t
    3. ALL OF THE TIME
    4. Phones and computers. I use them to do other things than talk to strangers and I use them to talk to others who are not around me
    5. Hinders for the same reason as it hinders me. None of us feel the need to interact with each other
    6. Not well but yes
    7. I would not really talk with them. I would text other people
    8. 1