The Juggling Act

As if we don’t have enough work to be preoccupied with as it is (view my previous post – The Stretch Run), Michigan basketball also just happens to be in the midst of a potential Final Four run. How can students reasonably be expected to attend to their work with such an extraordinary current event taking place before our very eyes. Every time I think about working on my project I immediate wish that my name was Nik Stauskas, not Benji Shanus. I am short, he is tall. I am an obnoxious American, he is a Canadian Saint. I am procrastinating, he is wowing NBA scouts. Good.

Does anyone have any good tactics of motivating themselves to be productive? I try to break things down into smaller chunks and make a checklist of what I need to do. Each day, I make it a priority to accomplish a certain number of tasks. Today just happens to be one of those days where nothing is clicking. I went to the library with the intention of doing work with a combination of Justin Bieber and the Jonas Brothers in the background. What has actually transpired has been quite the contrary. Bieber and the Brothers have been rocking my world, as I’ve occasionally managed to jot down a few notes. Don’t let this be you. Get rid of Cable and upgrade to Direct TV.

4 thoughts to “The Juggling Act”

1. This made me chuckle. Can I assume that you’re graduating this spring if you’re working on the capstone? If yes, I’m in the same senioritis infected boat right there with you. It sucks. There’s real life going on all around us, the weather is getting better, and sitting down to work on homework is….killer.

It may sound totally corny, but when I catch myself in a Netflix binge session or tumbling down the buzzfeed rabbit hole, I force myself to shut my laptop, turn off my music, get someplace quiet by myself, and I meditate for 10-15 minutes. I just sit, usually on the yoga mat that is always rolled out next to my bed, and try not to think about anything. Ultimately it helps me remember that all my avoidance tactics are just that–avoidance tactics–and that the end of the semester is racing towards me whether I’m ready for it or not. Once I remember that (and how much it sucks to pull all nighters after I’ve wasted a bunch of time), it gets easier to just focus and do what I need to do. Believe me, you’re not alone in what you’re feeling. Hope this helps!

2. Thanks for the feedback, Katherine. That advice actually sounds like a really good idea. Definitely clever to say the least. You are correct that I’m graduating in a month. At least I hope to be. I typically am able to force myself to stay motivated and driven. I guess we all have those days though where nothing is clicking. Definitely more so with the end of school so close… yet so far.

I’ve actually taken a meditation class before (great times) so I can relate to what you’re saying. The power of meditation is definitely real. I’m glad that it works for you and should I come across another day like the one I described, I may very well try it.

3. I hear ya. I find that it is getting harder and harder to stay on track. I just can’t really force myself to care anymore. I also want to spend as much time with my friends as possible because a good majority of them are leaving within a week after graduation. I find that in order to get stuff done I’ve started bribing myself. For example, I am allowed to go out if I get x, y, and z accomplished. I am allowed to go get froyo once I get to page XXX in my textbook. I can finally go pee after holding it for what feels like a decade after I finish problem #xx (which I guess gives you bladder cancer or something, idk but thats what everyone keeps telling me).

4. I too am in this hell hole of trying to get everything done at once (oops my bad for getting almost no points for this class until the last week and a half), but also trying to savor the last few weeks of time with friends while virtually having no real responsibilities. It’s kind of sad that all I really have to do is a handful of assignments and exams but I literally cannot make myself get it done! At least we’re on the home stretch–I’m going to try to incorporate what you all have been saying and hope that helps me out a bit. Good luck everyone!