Voices of the Middle West Student Panel Reflection

First of all, I would like to thank Mark Feldman for the acknowledgement in his recent blog post about this same subject, and would like to give him a shout out in return. ┬áMarco… (embrace opportunity to say Polo out loud to yourself).

Now that that’s taken care of, I want to add to what Mark has already contributed about our experience yesterday. First of all, the bagel spread was outstanding. Many different kinds of bagels and all very fresh. I was pleasantly surprised to see an asiago bagel, one of my favorite types and one that I believe to be both painfully under appreciated and utilized. Also, in addition to the coffee, there was ice tea as well, which definitely made a non-coffee drinker like myself very happy. Although I love asiago bagels, having one with cream cheese and no beverage would have been challenging, so thankfully I was not given that ultimatum.

As far as less important matters go, below are a few takeaways from the student publication panel:

1. There are so many different great opportunities on campus to get involved with publication.

2. Each of the panelists were very passionate about their current roles and past experiences.

3. They all embraced their friendly and social working atmospheres

4. Literary journalism is a great opportunity to open up to and interact with a range of different people.

5. The students expressed interest in working in publication full time or finding a field directly related to the skill-set that they have acquired.

6. “Part of being a better writer is just reading a lot and seeing good and bad things that other students are doing.” – Girl on the far left side of the panel who’s name I regrettably do not remember.

2 thoughts to “Voices of the Middle West Student Panel Reflection”

1. Hey Benji, I walked through the display in EQ on my way to meet with the family of a umich prospective student. Unfortunately, I didn’t have a ton of time to pay close attention to the specifics of the event, but it seemed like everyone was having a good time. Moreover, I thought it was cool how the different individuals who had published work on display were all mingling and interacting with each other. Really goes to show how invested and interested the various “voices” on campus are in the advancement and success of others. Go Blue

2. Benji,

Genius blog post and I as well appreciate the shout out. I must agree wholeheartedly with your explanation of the bagel and drink spread. One crucial thing you left out was a better description of the cream cheese spread. A huge issue with bagel and coffee spreads is that there are often times not enough containers of cream cheese, causing mass back ups as people rush to get to their destination. Fortunately, we did not run into that issue as we were both able to spread an adequate amount of cream cheese on our bagels of preference (you with Asiago, me with Everything) without having to wait for one another. This is an experience I will cherish for the rest of my life and I’m glad I was able to share such a riveting panel discussion with you.