My Top Five Favorite Books That I’ve Recently Read

As the semester has been coming to and end, recently I’ve been scrapping the bottom of the barrel in terms of what to blog about, and a popular one I have seen floating around recently has been everyone’s top ten favorite books, and while I tried to think about the top ten books in my life, I had trouble narrowing it down to ten, so I decided to go with the last 5 books I’ve read, as listed below.

Sacred Hoops by Phil Jackson

Aside from the sports aspect, specifically basketball, this book relates a lot of the basketball experiences from Jackson’s playing and coaching career to the struggles and experiences he’s had in life.  Known as the ‘Zen Master’ in the basketball world, Jackson takes a deeper, spiritual look at both basketball and life, and it makes for an easy read.

Bo’s Lasting Lessons: The Legendary Coach Teaches the Timeless Fundamentals of Leadership by Bo Schembechler and John U. Bacon

I might be a little biased putting this book in here, having grown up a Michigan fan my entire life, but reading this book has helped me really appreciate being  a part of athletics here at the University of Michigan, as well as made me even more fortunate for the opportunities I’ve had.  Aside from the Michigan aspect of it all, the lessons have all had real life applicability, while the stories that Bo shares about his life are entertaining as well.  Definitely worth the read, especially if you’re a fan of Michigan, or just sports in general.

Detroit City is the Place to Be by Mark Binelli

I’ve always been a fan of Detroit since I was young, my mom grew up in a hotel on Lafayette Street, and my dad grew up in a suburb just a short drive from Detroit City proper.  After going to school in Detroit for a year and a half to start college, I fell in love with the city, and this is one of the few books that has been able to capture a lot of the sentiments I have about the city itself.  I have some great memories from visits and trips to the city, and it’s great to see the city coming back, and having a book like this painting the positives and negatives that the city faces in such  hopeful light is always nice to see.

1984 by George Orwell

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized that the books that everyone considers ‘classics’ are typically worth of being called that. I remember first reading 1984 in high school for a British literature course I took, and trying to get through 1984 as fast as possible because who didn’t hate their assigned readings while they were in high school?  I’ve since reread it and realized that I probably should have read it the first time around because it ended up being one I really enjoyed, for as much as one can enjoy 1984 without sounding like they’re too out of left field.

For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway

While technically I’m not done with this book yet, and a busy second semester hasn’t exactly helped me get through this book any faster, especially considering its length, it’s a great book about a lot of life principles.  The way that Hemingway can connect so much of his personal life to his writing, and then further extrapolate the motives and emotions of something as formative and heart wrenching as war is pretty unique.  I like his straight forward writing style as well, and it’s hard to deny Hemingway, for all he is vast romanticized in modern society, must have been a pretty interesting dude.  Hopefully once school finishes up I’ll be able to knock this one out as well.