#PIVOT #RayRay

The feeling that I have right now writing this pivot reflection is a weird one.  I feel happy to be graduating, but at the same time sad.  I feel excited about the future, but anxious about the unknown.  I look back on my college career and am filled with the happiest of memories, and feel extremely lucky to have spent the past four years here, and also lucky to have stumbled across the Minor in Writing.

it was I came to college, I really had no idea what I wanted to do.  I was stuck between what my parents thought I should do, what I wanted to do, and what I thought I should do.  Is what my parents think I should do also what I want?  What if I major in something completely useless and am left with little career options?  What if I pick something and end up hating it?  Well, now that I have the answers to all of these questions I realized that I worried for nothing.  I decided to go with Psychology, and its not what my parents necessairly thought I should do, but it’s what I wanted.  I figured out its not completely useless, and I have three interviews in the coming weeks.  And, I actually didn’t hate it!  My concentration is such a small part of my college experience, and I’ve found out that my minor has been more influential than my major. (That sounds odd).

I didn’t even know the Minor in Writing existed, but I’m so so glad I discovered it.  Well, I guess it was my dad. I was avoiding homework sophomore year by looking at Facebook, watching Netflix, and looking at other useless nonsense online when my dad called me and said, “Hey, you should check out this writing minor thing, it looks cool.”  I said, “Okay Dad, yeah sounds good I’m kinda busy I will call you later.”  I really wasn’t busy at all I just didn’t really feel like talking about future plans or any school related thing when I was already avoiding homework.  A few days later, I listened to my dad’s advice when our conversation popped into my head, and was pleasantly surprised.

I applied, thinking that I might not get in.  I didn’t really know much about it or how many people were applying, but all I know is that I’m lucky I was accepted.  The first day of the Gateway course was my 21st birthday.  Let’s just say, I was not feeling at my best.  But, I could tell that I was going to enjoy this class.  T Hetzel was amazing, and so excited for this journey to begin for our class.  Through completing the Why I Write essay, and doing the re-mediation, I learned so much within the first weeks.  I knew that I wasn’t going to be comfortable with sharing my writing in class, and I wanted to get over that.  I was self-conscious of others reading my personal thoughts, and at first I leaned away from asking for advice.  I would say my biggest accomplishment by the end of class was getting more comfortable seeking criticism, and actually using it to improve.  Taking suggestions from my peers was so valuable, and I wish I was more comfortable with it sooner.

This Capstone course was (Woah, past tense is making me feel sad…) definitely one of my favorite classes at Michigan.  I got to build on what I already knew, but I learned so much from Ray and the people in class.  I grew even more comfortable sharing my work, and with such intelligent, genuine people in class I realized that this was actually the best thing ever for my writing.  My classmates took a genuine interest in my writing, and I was inspired to put 100 percent into what I was writing about.  I learned to write with more honesty – meaning I would tell the whole story, even if it meant being vulnerable.  I learned to ask myself questions – maybe the answers I am looking for are really right in front of me.  I loved the beginning of each class when Ray would ask us a question.  The people that were strangers at the beginning of the semester are now friends, and I feel fortunate to have learned so much about their lives and aspirations.  If any of you guys are reading this, you are all awesome and I’m lucky to know such amazing people, and I have no doubt you will all go amazing places in life.  My favorite day of class was the last one.  Even though it was over, getting to listen to Ray talk about life was great.  His advice will stick with me, and I also know I will never forget the story of how he met his wife.  (Ray, that is seriously so cool.)  I will miss this class, and simply learning every day through the completion of my project and portfolio.

Now looking ahead…I’m very sad to be leaving this place.  I can’t imagine not waking up in Ann Arbor, walking to class, getting coffee on South U and running into my friends, and sitting at Charley’s on sunny afternoons.  I sometimes really think that life doesn’t get much better than it is now.  I’m surrounded by people I love and that have turned to family, in one of the greatest places in the world.   What could be better?  But, as much as I want to stay, I can’t imagine not moving on.  It’s time for the next step, and I will admit it will be pretty nice to not worry about exams, papers, and homework anymore.  I’m not exactly sure what the next step is yet, and the unknown scares me.  I have interviews in Chicago and in the Detroit area, and am excited about the possibilities.  Moving away from Ann Arbor means I will have it as a home to come back to, and be reminded of the best years of my life so far.  (Now I honestly feel like crying.)  The Minor in Writing is something that made my college experience what it was, and I am so thankful for everything I have learned, the people I’ve met, and the stories I will have to tell after graduation.