Letting Someone Else Make My Decision

Guys, I have a confession to make: I have serious issues with making decisions. I know a lot of people say this, but I’m pretty sure I take the whole ineptitude thing to an extreme. The other night, it literally took me almost 2 hours to figure out what to do for dinner. I wasn’t sure whether to just go pick up take-out, or to cook something, or what to carry-out or cook, or whether it was worth going to the grocery store for ingredients that weren’t in the fridge… Eventually I realized that I’d spent so much time trying to figure out dinner plans that I was not only VERY hungry, but also I had totally wasted the time I intended to use to get my reading done (I ended up getting a burrito from Pancheros, in case anyone was wondering). I wish this little story wasn’t true, but I’m ashamed to say that it is. I really am that bad.

Anyway, as you can imagine, I was SO excited to have someone else to make decisions for me in this brainstorming activity because I had no clue what to focus on for this project. I talked to Joe a lot about my research and mentioned my BCN major as potential topics to explore, and he brought up the idea of maybe writing a fictional story that relates to the research I’m doing in some way, but after thinking about it a bit I realized I’m already spending so much time on that stuff that I don’t think I want to use it as inspiration for my capstone project. Another big idea that came out as a potential starting point was my gateway project, which was all about fostering collaboration and relationships through music. I really enjoyed doing it, and I ended up making a podcast, which was a lot of work, but also a ton of fun! Joe brought up the idea of maybe doing something musical, or making a podcast again, which I totally considered, and think would be really cool. As I reflected on all these different big ideas, I was still totally stressin about what I would actually decide to do. This is a pretty big project, after all, and no matter what I pick I’m going to have to spend more time on it than I did on that dinner the other night, so as you can imagine, I’ve just been totally in my head. In my attempt to make a decision between a bunch of ideas that had already been chosen for me, I started doing other little things that I convinced myself were relevant, but really it was just me procrastinating. I started to organize things. I worked on making folders and subfolders and I started writing out some of my ideas so I could pick a track to start with, and suddenly it came to me: instead of following any of the great ideas I’ve already got, I’ll make an organizational guide about how to keep life organized in all sorts of ways. I’m definitely big into organization and making detailed calendars, color coding things, keeping everything really precise and neat, so what better thing to write about than organization and structure. I know it sounds insanely boring, but I think it’ll actually be kinda fun and definitely useful in the future to keep as a means of helping myself and others with organizational skills.

So that’s where I’m at for now; I came in with a bunch of interesting and creative ideas and ended up with something that kinda sounds like the total opposite (but in my head there are all sorts of cute directions it could go, I promise!). So I’m excited now to see where this project takes me, and I’m hoping it’s organized enough that all my decisions just fall into place, though there will probably be a lot of unavoidable choices to make. I’ll keep you updated on how that goes…

Yona Isaacs

Hello :) I'm a BCN major (that's Biopsychology, Cognition, and Neuroscience...obnoxiously long name, I know) here at the University of Michigan, as well as an Applied Statistics minor-- and a Writing minor, of course! I'm involved in Psychology research and spend a lot of my "free" time doing that. I also recent-ish-ly started learning to play the ukulele, so that's cool. Oh, and I once smashed a huge whole in a wall with my butt. That was about 6 years ago, but I haven't done anything nearly as impressive since. Still hoping to follow it up with something great!

One thought to “Letting Someone Else Make My Decision”

1. Cool Yona. I like this idea a lot. An organizational guide: ‘how to’ keep your life organized is a clever idea (NOT a boring idea) that can actually get rather complex! Have you given any thought as to the medium you will use for this project? Is this guide something that lives online? A website? Is it a Facebook profile? Is it a physical document or physical folders? What topics do you plan on including/organizing? Some of these questions might help you move forward! This sounds neat!