On (not) making decisions

I rambled to poor Katie for our allotted fifteen minutes about thoughts that I didn’t realize have been floating around my mind for a while. I kept babbling about the intersections I see between computer science and writing, and writing and thinking, and how technology has shaped our writing and thinking, and even between running and cooking and everything else, and it all combined into a laundry list of ideas I was somewhat awful at articulating.

So Katie came up with a super neat idea to make sense of these intersections by creating an interactive visualization of my brain, separated into fragments based on my interests. The user could click on one or more different sections, and all my ramblings could be organized in this way (i.e. clicking on both the CS and writing sections would show an essay on those parallels, but only selecting CS would show an essay solely on my thoughts there). I’m unsure how well I can separate my ideas and research overlapping topics in a logical way, so her other suggestion to write a New Yorker-y kind of article might offer a more coherent and straightforward (if that’s even possible for me…) argument. She also suggested making a podcast (since I mentioned I like listening to them), which sounds entirely daunting. I do think a podcast would lend itself well to integrating other people’s direct perspectives, though, so it’s definitely an avenue I’m looking into. Thanks Katie!!!!!

Coming up with project ideas for Katie was way easier than coming up with my own. I guess being removed from my personal fears of all the freedom we’re given made it easier to brainstorm creative (and hopefully maybe kind of helpful) ideas for her.

I have a feeling I’m not the only one in our class terrified of commitment.

Margot Kriete

Hi! My name's Margot. I study computer science, have super long arms, never skip breakfast, and will probably become a German shepherd lady (as opposed to those "cat ladies") when I grow up. I like to cook, read, run, change my mind, and write.