We Go Down Together – mgoblog

It was about 5:00 P.M on Saturday. Sitting in the Big House at half time, extremely disgruntled and slightly intoxicated (I’m 21 now so I can say that right…?), I pondered what has become of our football program. Still the winningest team in college football history, we have become the laughing-stock of the Big Ten. I and all of my friends proceeded to return home, unwilling to witness in person Minnesota, yes – the Minnesota Golden Gophers, storm across the field to take back the Little Brown Jug. I walked home to watch the rest of the game on television, screaming at the television as Brady Joke kept in sophomore quarterback Shane Morris who didn’t appear to know what planet he was on after getting crushed by a Minnesota lineman. To say the least – I was not happy. So, what was the first thing I did? I went to the blogosphere. I went to mgoblog.com to find out what other loyal wolverine fans had to say about the catastrophe occurring on the field. It made me feel better to an extent to know that so many others were feeling the same things I was. Most posts were about how it was time for Brady Joke and AD Dave Brandon to be fired; others were already making lists of potential replacements; and a fiercely loyal few were saying the coaching staff needs more time. After reading all the posts about essentially how much we suck, and just exactly why we suck, I finally arrived to the conclusion that, well, we suck.

photo credit to deadspin.com
How I was feeling Saturday…

Mgoblog.com is a safe haven for angry wolverine fans. It’s where I go to make some sense of my temptations to tear up all my remaining season tickets. It’s a place of despair after an embarrassing loss; it’s a place of hope after an uplifting win; it’s a place to almost pathetically follow which 17-year old teenagers will decide to attend Michigan; but, most of all, it’s simply a place to be a fan. So, if you ever find yourself tossing and turning at night about the coaching failures or offensive line struggles of the Michigan football team, or if you ever just want to feel a little more knowledgeable, give mgoblog a try. I can’t promise that you’ll feel better or more optimistic, but you’ll definitely be more informed about it.

3 thoughts to “We Go Down Together – mgoblog”

1. Jeff,
    This past Saturday I attended my first Michigan football game in two years (I stayed for probably 7 minutes, but still, I made the walk). Like you, I was definitely frustrated by the turn of events. Looking at mgoblog, I’m both grateful and confused. Grateful, because like you said it’s nice to have a place where you can see who agrees with you, who disagrees with you, and why they may may agree/disagree with you. On the other hand, I’m confused because as a non-blog follower, I cannot figure out how to navigate mgoblog. There are SO many different things to look at and links to press, which I’m sure appeals to the masses of people who enjoy blogs, but for those of us who don’t… help.

2. Jeff,

As a Michigan sports writer myself, I can agree with you that Mgoblog is great. I think their content is fantastic. However, I think their interface is terrible. It’s shocking to me on so many levels that SB Nation hasn’t bought out Mgoblog. SB Nation’s interface is far superior and more user-friendly. There isn’t real-time commenting, it’s hard to comment, comments take up three times the space as the content and it’s hard to see which comments are replies to other comments and more. You’d think such a great blog, that produces fantastic Michigan analysis, would upgrade their interface. No?

3. Jeff,
    I too left the game vs. Minnesota early. I just couldn’t get myself to stand there, in the pouring rain, to support a team that obviously was going to lose. Although I’ve only had one entire seasons worth of home games attended, I can’t help but feel like this year is just not the same. I will definitely check out mgoblog. It sounds like an interesting site and I look forward to connecting with other Michigan fans.