Capstone Portfolio Play

I  started playing around with Wix to create my capstone portfolio site, and I had forgotten how fun this is! I really liked my Gateway portfolio, and I looked back at it for inspiration and ideas for the Capstone one. For a minute I thought about using the same portfolio template again, since I was such a fan and spent a ton of time on it, but I figured I might as well go ahead and make a new one. I mapped out what I tentatively wanted for my portfolio, and then I started looking for themes on wix that might work well with my “vision.” Naturally, I decided it would be a good time to sort through an excessive number of pages of potential website templates to find a good one (I got to page 37, guys. And there are 6 templates per page, so that means I picked through 222 templates before I made a decision. Wuddup term paper due this week that I should’ve been working on 222 templates ago… #priorities). Anyway, I picked one and have been playing around with it and planning out which artifacts I’m going to include, and where they’re gonna go, and what fun fancy apps and widgets and all that will work with it. I chose a super minimalist theme that is just a white background with small, black writing, and minimal black lines. I plan to use a lot of photographs through out the portfolio to tie things together across the pages, and I think the use of photos against the minimal background will make them more impactful and provide for an engaging experience for my readers. I’m having a ton of fun so far with it! I’m really excited to keep building up my portfolio now, and I want to try lots of cool ways to integrate my assignments. I just figured out how to embed a powerpoint into my wix page, so that’s pretty awesome. I had a lot of trouble with all this website making stuff when I used Wix for the first time during the Gateway course, but I think it’ll be much better this time around since I’m already more familiar with the site builder and how to add all kinds of fun stuff. I also ended up going back through more old assignments to look for things that might fit together for the portfolio, and I found a project I did freshman year that I had totally forgotten about, but that’s kind of related to my Capstone project, which is awesome. Right now I’m feeling pretty positive about this portfolio (in case you couldn’t tell), and I’m excited to show it off in a couple weeks as a more refined product.

Yona Isaacs

Hello :) I'm a BCN major (that's Biopsychology, Cognition, and Neuroscience...obnoxiously long name, I know) here at the University of Michigan, as well as an Applied Statistics minor-- and a Writing minor, of course! I'm involved in Psychology research and spend a lot of my "free" time doing that. I also recent-ish-ly started learning to play the ukulele, so that's cool. Oh, and I once smashed a huge whole in a wall with my butt. That was about 6 years ago, but I haven't done anything nearly as impressive since. Still hoping to follow it up with something great!

2 thoughts to “Capstone Portfolio Play”

1. Oh gosh, I hear you on those themes. You think you’ll be able to choose one and an hour later…
    Aaanyway it sounds like your portfolio is coming together well! I’ve found the same thing when looking through old classes, at first everything seems disjointed and unrelated but I guess we all have our habits, so that’s neat you found something else that fits!
    I also really like the idea of using photographs as your main visual focus and leaving the rest of the interface more minimal. It seems like you’ve thought hard about how your projects will affect the layout of your portfolio. I’m just wondering, and this will probably come together more concretely later, how exactly will the photographs tie things together? Are your projects often visual, or do you plan on possibly adding relevant photos to your pieces or maybe just landing pages? Good luck!!

2. Hi Yona!

I agree with you, it is so much fun creating these portfolios! A lot of fun with some frustration and stress mixed in, but definitely more fun than a lot of other assignments I am supposed to be working on 🙂

I also think this is a good theme to go with if you’re including photos. Wix is great but sometimes it is difficult to find the artifacts through all of the colors and pictures and fonts of some of the templates. Especially if you’re embedding powerpoints and using other media to present your work, a simple frame for the papers you include will help the reader out.

Also, good call going through all of your old works and finding that hidden gem from freshman year! That’s awesome!