Digital Rhetoric

It seems a little weird to be writing a blog post analyzing an example of digital rhetoric. While you read, are you just going to analyze this digital rhetoric? As I write, I wonder if I should I be more focused on rhetoric devices of my own blog posts. Well here goes.

The digital rhetoric of an Elite Daily post:

Elite Daily website screenshot.
Elite Daily website screenshot.

What do we see here?

We see a title that includes the reader in the claim. This indicates a very casual style. Like talking to a friend. This style is enhanced by the direct connection to social media. Above the image I see 11 ways to share this article with my friends. On the image I see the option to “Pin it.” And underneath the image, I see all my Facebook friends that “like” Elite Daily. The connection to social media furthers the friendly, casual style. It makes the writing feel more familiar. It feels closer to me because I have the ability to share it verbatim.

And the photo above. This is also digital rhetoric. The photos speak. The  photo shown in this screenshot speaks to a modern generation. A younger generation. My mom uses a lot of the apps included in this article, but this article does not speak to her. The digital rhetoric makes this very clear.

At the very bottom of the article is a comments section. This leaves a space for anyone to speculate. To create their own post with a different digital rhetoric. Unique to their needs. Unique to the idea they want to get across.

. . .

What do you think?

2 thoughts to “Digital Rhetoric”

1. Lia,

My first thought about my own blog was about how “ironic” that I am writing about digital rhetoric when it is it’s own digital rhetoric. I definitely think you pulled in a specific audience (our age/generation) because we can understand and identify how to “like” and article or “pin it”, etc. I think it is so funny how we share things with just a click of a button along with consuming things even easier. I was so consumed in your blog because of you first displaying the picture of the brief article title. For any technology/media users out there, they want to know what apps they do need to use to “make our lives easier”. But honestly, what else can make our lives easier when we have a hand-held device that is connected to everything and anything needed within a blink of an eye? There is always “an app” for that. I guess it is great that we have digital rhetoric, but then again, is it? Do we always need this quick transaction of information. This ongoing click of a button to access more information (that is usually unneeded). All of this is so odd to think about because we are the first generations to grow up with this technology so it all seems so normal.

2. Lia,

I liked your first thought, in that we are talking about digital rhetoric, using digital rhetoric! Interesting. The piece that you chose is a great example, and all of the different ways you can share this piece of digital rhetoric on other social media sites to continue the conversation on this piece of rhetoric really sticks out to me. I have no idea what half of those little social media share buttons indicate which makes me feel old in a sense, as I’m sure my younger cousins and brothers would know what they are and how to use them expertly.

I also like you analysis of the photo because it does speak to a very narrow audience, which is people, primarily women, our age. We can infer this due to the color of the woman’s nails, the age of her hands, her jewelry, and her iPhone in a trendy case. The comment section is something I discussed extensively in my post because I think it is such an interesting and provocative form of digital rhetoric, allowing everyone and anyone to share their thoughts. Great post!