Mapping my Capstone Portfolio

I’m planning on categorizing my work into three over-arching navigation pages: non-fiction, fiction, and multimedia. This will help maintain a cohesive feel throughout my site – I won’t isolate my capstone project and developmental essay from my other work.

I decided to categorize in this way in order to make the site easily accessible for a handful of audiences. Evaluators are looking for specific pieces, but other site visitors might be confused if the navigation was directed by specific assignment titles.

Each piece will be prefaced with a short blurb – here is where I will speak directly to my evaluator, explaining the content, and how it showcases a specific skill that I have acquired. This is also the way I plan to incorporate reflective material (in addition to my developmental essay, which in itself is reflective).

I think that my site’s organization will accurately represent me as a writer because it displays three distinct genres of writing (as well as sub-genres). I am a very flexible writer, and I have experience with various mediums. I want this aspect of my writing to be conveyed.

What do you guys think?

2 thoughts to “Mapping my Capstone Portfolio”

1. I think this is a great way to organize your portfolio Linda! It seems that the main categories are very clear and I think that not focusing on just your capstone project is a good idea for someone like you who has a broad range of writing to showcase. I also really like the idea of having a blurb open up each thing- it helps the evaluators know what they are looking for before reading your piece, but if you are using the portfolio for other people then it will be great to let them know what they are looking at incase they want to find something else. I’m eager to see how else your portfolio will capture you as a writer? As in, what will the opening page be like? Will it have more of a blog or a website type feel? How will you incorporate all of your professional and personal and school work all under your own voice? I think it will all come together great!

2. Hi Linda,

I think your organization will assist both capstone portfolio evaluators and others who land upon your site without context. I am struggling with the same questions about how to prevent separating my required elements for the portfolio, and think I have come up with a solution that is actually fairly similar to yours.

Do you plan to target your introductions to your writing to both evaluators and people who just happen upon your work? This might present a challenge, as speaking directly towards the evaluator could isolate the other readers. If you figure out how to do this, please let me know as I am struggling with it too!!

-K