My brother, the texting poet

This weekend, my little brother Joey is coming to visit. He is a senior in high school, and, though he may not admit it, considers Michigan a dream school and would be devastated if he were to be rejected.

Joey is an incredible writer. My dad, a former creative director at an advertising agency turned creative consultant and business owner, passed on a writing-skills gene that I am convinced somehow skipped me. In addition to his eloquently written school assignments, he serves as editor-in-chief of his high school newspaper.

As silly as it may seem, Joey’s best writing, in my opinion, comes from his text messages. I am the more extroverted sibling and he the more introverted sibling. While he is a man of few words, every word he says has greater bearing than the sum of all of my jibber-jabber.

Honestly, usually I am the one initiating text convos between the two of us. But each of his responses, even when they’re only one word, seem to have a lot of thought behind them. It makes the rare days when we decides to text me a question, or to vent about something at school or with my parents, feel that much more special.

As I said, Joey is freaking out about college applications, and about Michigan in particular, but as a man of few words, I notice many of his moments of anxiety through his little text questions. Still, if he can write college applications with the depth and sincerity with which he composes his text messages, as silly as it sounds, I know he’ll have a fighting chance.

Sarah Schuman

Hi! I'm Sarah, from the Chicago area. I write more eloquently with a chai latte by my side.