Portfolio Thoughts?!

My capstone portfolio looks to answer this question: Is there any such thing as authenticity?  We live in the Digital Age —  we are always meticulously crafting, curating and reconstructing our selves. Can anyone just be?

I am interested in this question because I believe the authentic aka unedited and unfiltered self is attractive and aspirational. But does authenticity even exist anymore?

I will ground my project in performance theory and theory of the self/identity construction.

My project will ultimately live on an online website.  It has a few components.  First, in order to gather information about the cultural context, I will distribute surveys to my peers.  Ideally, my survey questions will help unlock the ways in which we identify ourselves, see ourselves and present to the world.  I will also ask questions to my peers specifically about their online identities in order to discover whether there is a difference with how people really identify themselves and how people present on Facebook/Instagram. In addition to the survey questions, which will be culminated into survey data/charts, I will also interview and feature a few full profiles on my website in order to give this data a human face.  The next component of the project is a photo collage.  I will ask all participants to take a picture of themselves in a ‘natural and comfortable’ setting, holding a piece of paper with words that express ways in which they define themselves.  Next to that picture, I will have a picture of their social media profiles (facebook/instagram). This explicit contrast will hopefully draw attention to the differences between our real selves and our curated selves.
Next comes the reflective part.   I will reflect on my experience interviewing people and my findings. This will be my opportunity to delve deep into my project, my inspirations and the outcomes. This will be the crux of my deep analysis. Let me know if you have any ideas/feedback/critique… I welcome all! Thanks!

3 thoughts to “Portfolio Thoughts?!”

1. Carly, I’m so excited for you to take this on! After our conversation yesterday, it really seems like you’ve found what you want to discover about authenticity and the mediums you’ll use to convey your findings. I especially love the photos with “identification cards.” If you use a Wix site, I know there a many different ways to do images, either in galleries, slideshows, etc. Could be fun to change it up!

In your reflective section, I hope you’ll let us know how (or if) you saw parts of yourself in your encounters with friends and/or strangers. I’d love to see you “get personal” in this part, in addition to identifying common themes and reflecting on your process. Can’t wait to see this come together!

2. Carly,

I’m so excited for your project and I think it will come out great because it is a topic you’re really passionate about. I know you’ve already begun doing some research for your project, so I’m eager to see how your sources influence what you do. Will people react similarly to the women in the dove commercial? Will the feedback not always exceed your expectations? One question that really came to mind for me was what will you discuss in your reflection? Will it be more personal, as if you were doing an evaluation on your own authenticity or maybe will you give us (your audience) some insight on how maybe some of the survey participants didn’t respond well or were nervous about participating. It can definitely go a lot of ways and I’m excited to see which one really answers your question!

3. Hi Carly,

I like this idea a lot! I took your survey and laughed through it because I can be very inauthentic when it comes to Instagram 🙂 Portlandia makes fun of this constantly. In the clip here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IimE0hnA52U they talk about cropping out sadness. In another sketch, one of the characters declares “social media bankruptcy. It is funny but also pretty true how social media has led to a lot of disturbing outcomes in terms of self-portrayal. I’m interested to see what you come up with in your final project!