So It Goes

I decided to use my paper from senior year of high school about the common theme of dystopian society in Kurt Vonnegut stories as the source of my repurposing project. The paper was focused on one novel and two short stories by Kurt Vonnegut and I really enjoyed learning about and reading works by Kurt Vonnegut. Additionally, I find dystopian fiction incredibly interesting. I thought the paper could have been improved and elaborated on, but rather than try to rewrite it, decided to take a more creative route by attempting to write my own dystopian story.

The questions I have going into this project are mainly: What does my story need to contain to be able to have a meaningful larger message rather than just being a fictional story? I know that one of the conventions of the genre of dystopian stories is that they are meant to have a larger social commentary, which was the theme of my original paper. To do this, I plan to read a few more well known stories in this genre, such as 1984 by George Orwell and others by Vonnegut himself. I also plan to research elements of dystopian fiction so I can understand what themes and motifs to include in my own while I write. Here is one site I might use in my annotated bibliography.

This will be my first ever attempt at writing fiction so it will definitely achieve the goal of challenging myself to write in a way that I am not used to. My audience would be contemporary society in general. Usually these types of stories are meant to draw attention to a problem society is currently dealing with and meant to be like a wake up call. Though I haven’t yet looked into a specific publisher, I imagine there is a publishing company that put together a compilation of Vonnegut’s short stories that I would aim to use.

I am excited to work with this project because I know it will be challenging. I have said in class and in my project 1 that I did not come to this minor looking to work on fiction stories, and yet, here I am. Kurt Vonnegut is also the only author I could ever say that I really like as an author rather than for one specific book.

"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.'"- Kurt Vonnegut
“I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, ‘If this isn’t nice, I don’t know what is.'”- Kurt Vonnegut