I’m not very good at drawing…

To put it bluntly, writing movies is not for me. I like writing; don’t get me wrong. But I had never written anything like this and I don’t want to do it ever again. Alright, enough venting.

Just kidding. Essentially, storyboarding combined two of my least favorite things: writing movie scripts (or at least bits and pieces) and drawing. Just ask my mom: I never thrived in art class growing up. Anyways, I’ll stop venting now. I promise.

Drawing up the storyboard was shockingly helpful. It allowed me to visualize my video and really sparked the creative side (if there is one) in me. Through creating a storyboard, I was able to think about which parts of my original Michigan Daily story I wanted to use in my piece. This proved to be very helpful and made the decision process easy.

An ESPN 30-for-30 thrives on its creative interviews and scenes. The transitions prove to be critical to the story and the storyboard helped me visualize those.

Here is a lovely picture of my storyboard (hold your laughter):

This is a storyboard of my to-be 30-for-30 video
This is a picture of my lovely storyboard. Don’t laugh!

Jason Rubinstein

A half-Argentinean sports writer for The Michigan Daily. Previous intern at the New York Daily News. Siracha sauce enthusiast. Avid Chicago Sports fan. Once turned down a bid from AEPi.

One thought to “I’m not very good at drawing…”

1. 30 for 30s are fantastic. And you’re right, their transitions are the key points, as they connect the interviews. Without the interviews, you don’t have the documentary.
    Anyway, your storyboard looks perfectly fine for planning out your story. Trust me, I stink at drawing as well. It really is an awful process that no one who does not like drawing would possibly enjoy doing. My story board is at least as bad, or possibly worse than you. However, I will also admit, it is very helpful as well.