Drafting My Portfolio

Hey all!

I hope everyone is having a great weekend and that you aren’t too stressed out (hehe wishful thinking…). If you’re feeling like I am, please enjoy this adorable GIF of a little duckling from my blog:

http://i.giphy.com/6N5xYcINzjEg8.gif
From Giphy

I just finished my draft of my capstone portfolio, which was way more entertaining than those history and energy politics papers I have blocked out for this time in my planner.

So far I really like the platform I am using, Weebly, and the design of the website. It is simple, but really functional. I also like the way I’ve separated my writing into left and right brain categories. I think this makes sense for my project and follows from my writer’s evolution essay. I have a lot of questions though:

• For one, does the left and right brain concept make sense to you guys? Does it work throughout the portfolio or are there places where it isn’t as effective? Also, does the reflective writing introducing the pieces make sense, or is it too jumbled? Do I push the theme too far?
  • I also want to know how well the pieces I’ve chosen fit together. Do you feel like you get a good sense of my writing, or do you think I need to shuffle things around?
  • Lastly, the developmental essay┬áinvolves pictures that are linked to the pieces the paragraphs discuss. Does this make sense here, or is it more confusing than helpful?

If you want to check out the portfolio, I just published it here. Once I published it, I realized some of the things look different in draft form compared to the actual published portfolio, so I’ll need to go through and fix that.

Happy writing!

-K

Katie Koziara

During the school year, I can usually be found doing a few things: studying domestic health policy, working as a student coordinator for the Public Service Intern Program, exploring different restaurants around Ann Arbor, running my regular loop around the Big House, or catching up on one of my many, many favorite television shows.

One thought to “Drafting My Portfolio”

1. Katie – I love the right brain/left brain theme. It’s a wonderful way to incorporate different types of writing into your portfolio with an overarching theme that encourages variety but still ties everything together. As a whole your portfolio feels very crisp and clean which I appreciate as a viewer! One thing I noticed is that if you use the drop down menus at the top versus scrolling down the home page you may end up taking a different route through the portfolio and actually might miss things. For example, my first run through I scrolled down your homepage writing and decided to click the left brain image, then clicked “speechwriting”. I hadn’t really even noticed the drop down menus at that point, but then I looked up at them and realized I completely missed the “about” section. I then started again from the homepage and tried clicking the right brain image then “social media”, and saw the “back to about page” button which made much more sense. I think more of these guiding type buttons would be a good addition. Overall, I love the site, so just a minor suggestion!