Five Things I learned From W2 With Laura Kasischke

Laura Kasischke, author of nine novels and nine books of poetry, shared some wonderful tips and read several poems and an excerpt from a book she is working on at last week’s Writer to Writer event at Literati. Plus, shout out to Shelley for killing the mc/radio host game!!

So, here are the top five things I took away from the interview..

1. Write every day – no matter what the circumstances, set aside even just a few minutes to write. Otherwise, you will lose the obsession and forget what you’re even writing about.

2. Writer’s block doesn’t mean not writing – it means putting words on a page that you just might not like. Laura explained that she has been writing for over a year and just now finally feels like she knows what her novel is about and where it is going.

3. Writing allows you to always have something to think about – whether your stuck in traffic, walking to class, or falling asleep at night. Writers have the pleasure of always brainstorming and thinking about their current work.

4. Poetry can sound a lot like fiction – maybe it’s because the last time I wrote a poem was in 5th grade, but I’ve always had this misconception that poems have to be abstract and full of figurative language. In reality, the poems Laura read us were about every day occurrences (like almost running someone over or coughing on her hand before turning in a paper) and besides a sort of flow or rhythm to them they sounded otherwise quite similar to fiction.

5. Laura enjoys writing about sex and death – “is there really anything else?”

One thought to “Five Things I learned From W2 With Laura Kasischke”

1. I love this list! She definitely gave me a lot to think about as well. The thing that has most stuck with me are #1 and #2. I so badly want to make writing a bigger priority in my life. I should write EVERY DAY. If I can take 15 minutes to catch up on the news, watch another episode of Project Runway, or read a book, I CAN WRITE FOR FIVE MINUTES. So why is it so difficult? Maybe I fear that I won’t have something to say, or my writing won’t have purpose. But Laura helped me think about how writing develops over time. Like you said, she didn’t feel her novel had a clear message and storyline until a YEAR LATER. I need more patience! I tend to give up on something days or weeks into its conception. She’s certainly a writing inspiration.

PS. Go Shelley! Great job hosting 🙂