Mock-Ups

A mock-up is supposed to be an outline for a media project. And this accurately describes my experience creating a mock-up for my remediation project. I got out a pen and paper. I thought about the exigence for the photo campaign that I decided I was going to create. And I got drawing. I mapped out what I wanted to take photos of, so that the photographs I include would evoke the necessary emotion. I’m no artist. My drawings are basic. But this wasn’t frustrating for me. I knew that when I took the photographs the mock-up would come to life.

Remediation Mock-Up

My e-portfolio mock-up experience was different. It wasn’t like I was creating an outline. I had started working on my e-portfolio without a mock-up. Clicking this to change that. I must have went through hundreds of changes before I came up with a design layout that fit with this exigence. I found that clicking around and having the changes manifest immediately was the best way for me to deliberate on a design. It was the best for me to begin an outline. Had I just created a mock-up for the first idea that came to mind, by the time I was actually editing online, my mock-up be present in my actual design. Getting the design just right was frustrating. It took so much time to make such insignificant changes, but I think it paid off. I am really happy with the “outline” I have created for my e-portfolio.

My e-portfolio mock-up

My digital e-portfolio mock-up

Overall, the two experiences were very different. I think that working with web design lends well to fooling around with the capabilities, then going back and creating an outline. Maybe this is just because I was unsure of the web design capabilities. Or maybe this is because the changes made within web design are instant, while the changes made within a photography require a lot to manifest. Regardless, the mock-ups have been proving helpful and I am glad we were required to use them.

2 thoughts to “Mock-Ups”

1. It’s really cool to see the transformation from your remediation mock-up to your remediation rough cut. The images definitely came to life once you created them in Photoshop! I can see what you were saying in class about how you had a different idea for the sleeping image; your design looks cool in the mockup but obviously since mockups are such a basic outline it’s hard to see how they’ll translate to the real thing.

I also love your ePortfolio home page! It’s simple but professional. Are you going to add a theme to your site and tie it in with your exigence or just leave it as is? I agree with your point on web design; sometimes it’s easier to try things out before making an outline. I personally prefer to dive into my work rather than outline, so my mockup was entirely based on the page I had already created by finding and editing a pre-made Wix template.

I can’t wait to see your final ePortfolio and remediation project!

2. Lia,

It’s interesting to see the difference in production from your two mock-ups. Your remediation rough cut differs a lot from your original remediation mock-up, but your e-portfolio mock-up is almost identical to your e-portfolio home page. I agree that there are so many options with web design that you really have to play around with it before you have an idea of what you can do with it and a vision of what you want it to look like. I think that method worked out really well for you. Like Annie said, your home page looks clean and professional.

I think it’s important that your remediation mock-up was really just the pictures you wanted to take and their captions. It was flexible enough to let you really “bring the pictures to life” in Photoshop. For example, when you created the sleeping image in Photoshop you decided you didn’t really like how image you mocked up translated into Photoshop. But you were able to change the image using what you had, and I love the way it came out in your rough cut!