Writing, Is Never the Same

As I read through Clark’s argument, it’s interesting that I could actually apply them to  every steps we’ve been experienced and practiced in Writing 220. I always like to try new things, and especially like new pedagogy as a student. I felt every new pedagogy is an improvement and development from the former and the old ones, and it usually results in better performance of students.  Nowadays pedagogy are putting students in the center of the class and adding knowledge and information around them. That itself is a huge improvement and it is what a class should look like.

I think Clark understands and integrates this idea into her pedagogy, and it works well for us in the class. I agree with her that we are writing in a more collaborative way. We exchange ideas, provide suggestions, and report new information and skills that we have learned from the beginning to the end of every writing project. In this way, the range of learning is expanded by just receiving from professor and us own to additionally receiving from peers. And this is the best part I like about this writing class.

Writing always seems to be personal and private, but this class gives us the best explanation of writing to the public. Not only the audience of writing changes from self, a small group to the whole virtual world, but also the forms of interaction that we are engaging in this semester. We appreciate and help improve each other’s project in class, and then we discuss specific issue and concerns through our blog post and comment. These interaction seems trivial, but they set the base and trained us to become better writer for a larger audience, and the sharing and opening to the public are exactly the advantage of digital writing. By continuous practicing digital writing, what we focused the most is our audience and how to write according to the specific group of audience. I think it is very beneficial to learn about the audience as a writer, especially in this digital writing world where we are facing a much larger and more critical audience.

Clark also mentioned making connections between old writing and new writing. and this is the repurposing project in our class. We connect with our old writing, but rewrite it to make it better fit for the medium and audience in digital world. Old things inspire us, so does old writing. In addition, reflection is also one of our focus in this class. We learn to reflect to our writing and give comments to ourselves for future improvement.

Should I add something more into the future pedagogy, I would say extension including extension to different subjects and varied depth of writing, and connection that requires close attention to new technology and information development and connects them into writing.

Enni Zhao

If, for the sake of amour and cuisine, I must pay, I would then give my life away.

One thought to “Writing, Is Never the Same”

1. Hi Enni,

I totally agree with the points you make about the importance of the audience in using digital rhetoric in new media writing. Now that we’ve been in two blog groups together, I have been especially impressed with the way you tailor your argument and tone depending on your target audience. I think that it will be important for you to apply those principles to your remediation website as well.