Advice to future MiW students

First off, this class is one of my favorites that I’ve taken at U of M. You will work hard, learn a lot and finish the semester immensely proud to the work you’ve done. I have just a few pieces of advice to help you get the most out of Writing 220.

When I first walked in to Writing 220, I had no idea the amount of digital work I would be doing. In the course, you will be constantly writing on collaborative google docs, blogging, maybe creating a digital project for your Remediation project and, finally, creating an e-portfolio. While I enjoyed all the digital writing I produced (the blog took some warming up to), it was definitely an unexpected element of the class. So, part of my advice to you is this: be prepared for that, and remain open-minded about it. Some of the most satisfying work I did in this class was digital, and I think it’s an important skill for all of us to have as we move forward as writers in a technologically-based age. If the idea of digital writing seems daunting, don’t worry. Most of your peers have the same low level of experience as you do, and you will all be learning a lot of new things together. If you’re like me, you’ll end up really enjoying working with digital media.

My second piece of advice is to stay calm and remember that you were accepted into this minor for a reason. I remember the sense of anxiety that overcame me every time we were given a project prompt. I didn’t know how I was going to be able to create the project that was asked of me; I had no clear vision for what I wanted my projects to be. As I moved forward in the class, though, that sense of anxiety diminished, and¬†jumping into projects¬†became easier and easier. A large part of this class is about taking risks, and I think that’s just something that comes with practice. Very few of us have developed projects like the ones students create for Writing 220 prior to taking the class. And while that can make the class difficult at first, that is what makes Writing 220 so fulfilling and instructive. Every one of you, I guarantee, will learn something you’ve never encountered before.

My last piece of advice is less about the class and more about the people sitting around you in class: get to know them. It took a while for me – and, I think, a lot of people in my cohort, since we were always told how quiet we are – to branch out and talk to my peers. But, the feedback you give and get in group workshops will be so much more in-depth and helpful if you are comfortable with the people around you. Collaboration is what made my projects successful, and I ended up invested in not only my projects, but the projects of my peers.

Congratulations on being accepted into the minor and get excited!

One thought to “Advice to future MiW students”

1. Hi Christina! Thanks for the advice. I’m already starting to sense that we’ll get to know our classmates very well, and I’m excited for the environment that kind of involvement will foster. It sounds like you got a lot of great feedback from your peers and I’m hoping that I’ll have a similar experience. That means I’ll have to make sure I’m giving back great advice too!