Advice to future writing minors

Firstly, welcome to the writing minor! Congratulations on being accepted to join fellow peers who care deeply about writing, as I’m share you do too. The writing minor is different in many ways from other programs. It frees you of restrictions and constraints of other classes. It does not demand stringent requirements and tedious exercise and yet it can pull out profound potential that you have yet to discover. As much as you put into this minor, you will receive even more. So I encourage you to do a few things.

1. Invest yourself fully.

Do not cheat yourself of this opportunity to become the best version of your writing self. Put your creative efforts into this class and enable yourself to reap the benefits.

1. Engage with your peers.

You are going to be immersed in a community of talented creators. They are incredible resources so take advantage of the opportunities to learn from them.

1. Share your writing.

The writing minor gives you multiple platforms to share your writing. From the blog to the eportfolio, you have the opportunity to show your work to the other minor in writing community members. The feedback you receive from the community will be invaluable in moving forward.

1. Meet with your instructor.

It will become abundantly clear early on in your writing minor experience that your professors and instructors care deeply about your growth. Be sure to meet with them and learn from their experience and advice how to best improve your writing and work.

1. Don’t compartmentalize your experience.

You will soon realize the lessons you learn in the writing minor span far beyond the gateway course. Do not box these lessons into the confines of a classroom. Let the lessons you learn throughout your creative process seep into your work in other classes and outside of the academic realm. Challenge yourself to set goals for your writing outside of the minor and use the tools within the minor to reach them.

These are just a few pieces of advice that will help you delve into the incredible community and resources of the writing minor. Do not limit yourself and keep in mind that it will be over before you know it! I feel as if I was just reading the advice on the blog and suddenly I am giving it. Enjoy your time in the minor but be sure to seize opportunities to improve and engage.

Anisha Nandi

I am a Communications and SAC double major pursuing a career in broadcast journalism. I am originally form New York but love being at U of M. I enjoy playing soccer, spending time with my family and being outdoors. I have always loved writing, especially creatively.

3 thoughts to “Advice to future writing minors”

1. Thanks for advising me to invest myself fully into the class; I often set academic goals for myself in the beginning of the year and fail to achieve them. One of these goals is to make a strong effort in each class, so that I can fully take as much from it as possible. This desire often goes unfulfilled, and if it does, it’s only in one or two classes. I really want to expand my writing capabilities, so I will definitely make sure that I don’t trivialize this class. I also enjoyed how you recommend taking what you learn in the classroom and applying it outside of the singular class. As a history and BCN major, it is often difficult to find ways to intertwine what I learned in a class with another or with the outside world. Since writing is so applicable, however, there is no excuse for me to compartmentalize what I learn in the class, and I thank you for recommending that to me.

2. Hi! Thanks so much for advising me to really give it my all in the course. Sometimes I find myself holding back because I’m not sure if what I have to say is valid, or if people really care. I think this course; however, provides the opportunity for us to grow through testing this concern. The more we share and try out; the more we’re able to grow and evolve as writers.

3. Thank you for the advice on how to get the most out of this course. I think your advice about not compartmentalizing what we are doing is a very important piece of this class. This class and the writing we do really isn’t supposed to be for this class and it is supposed to be for life. Thank you for this advice and I will try to keep this in mind as I move on throughout this semester and beyond.