To the Future Writing Minors….

Dear Future MIW Cohorts,

Congratulations! You are now part of the best minor at the University of Michigan (well at least I think so). I’m sure you slaved over your application, making sure each sentence was perfect…But now it’s time for the good part! Throughout your first semester as a writing minor you will learn more than you would ever expect to learn in a class that meets twice a week for an hour and a half. I know that is a pretty bold statement, but trust me, by the end of the semester you will agree! I came into this class thinking that it would be just like all the others here at U of M, but boy was I wrong. This class became much more than a writing class, it became a class where I could converse with other writers, hear their thoughts and opinions and ultimately improve as a writer. Here are a few suggestions I have for you as you begin your Minor in Writing journey:

1. Participate in class discussions as much as possible.

One of my favorite parts about the class is the emphasis on discussion. Whether the conversation is on a topic like social media or about a peer’s draft, actively participating in discussions definitely enhanced my experience.

1. Make an effort to get to know your classmates and reach out to them for help.

Everyone in your class has a love of writing. Make sure you utilize their love, opinions and abilities.

1. Make an effort to get to know your instructor!

I was lucky enough to have T as my instructor in the Gateway course. I think it is important to meet with your teacher about assignments in the class, or just simply to say hi!

1. Write about things you are passionate about.

If there is any time to explore your ideas through writing, this is the time. The Gateway course allows you to write about what you want, so make sure to take full advantage of it.

1. Make the most of the semester!

It goes by fast.

1e79dc738cd17cf2dc344e26e75c2b19