Unchartered territory

With only two days left until the unveiling of our e-portfolios, I still have a lot to do. I know exactly what I want to do; it’s just a matter of finding the time to play with all the design options. When I began designing my portfolio, I wanted a clean and simple site that almost paralleled a children’s book. The background and font of my portfolio are¬†children’s book-esque, and visitors navigate horizontally from page to page just like a book. And that’s all good. But from viewing my peer’s portfolios, I decided my design is almost too simple. It needs a little flare, and I’m not quite sure how to do that. There are, of course, elements of the content that I need to change also, but I have clear ideas for those changes, so I’m not as worried about them.

Despite my slight sense of panic at all the work I still have to do, I’ve really enjoyed creating my portfolio, and I’m excited about finishing it. I remember looking through the previous cohorts’ portfolios and viewing all their projects, thinking I was not nearly creative enough to develop projects like theirs. As I’m developing my own portfolio, I get to view my finished projects, and I find myself extremely proud of them and the challenges I overcame in creating them. That sense of pride led me to the exigence of my portfolio: to showcase my newfound creative abilities and how they, coupled with other academic writing, make me a more well-rounded writer. In essence, my portfolio¬†shows how I have grown as a writer.

I’ve learned a lot in Writing 220: about creative writing, effective collaboration and digital software and rhetoric. Most importantly, I learned not to be afraid to explore unchartered territory. I hope all of this is evident in my portfolio!

screenshot of Christina's portfolio homepage