Different Examples of Writing

List of different genres with explanations underneath the links:

http://www.michigandaily.com/opinion/10viewpoint-no-more-blurred-lines16

The genre of this persuasive article would be an opinion articulated originally by being published in the Michigan Daily, using the linguistic mode. The research used refers to the lyrics of the song ‘Blurred Lines’ and the author argues that rough consensual sex, which the song refers to, does not perpetuate rape culture in retaliation to the original article that argues the song does promote rape. I think the audiences of both of these article are mainly for feminists or others who have a a strong opinion for or against the message of the song. They are responding to the rhetorical situation of the outrage during the 2013 football season when the song was played at the Big House. For the situation, an opinion based response is probably the best way to acknowledge the other side of the debate.

http://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/my-autopsy-excerpt

This genre is obviously poetry and this is an excerpt from one of my favorite poems by Michael Dickman. This genre is expressed through multiple modes such as visual (the creepy imagery triggers a visual response in a reader), spatial (the arrangement of the stanzas), and linguistic (fantastic word choice throughout). I think the research that went into this poem is simply drawing from life experiences. The audience could generally be anyone who enjoys poetry for it is not difficult to read. The rhetorical situation would simply be creating a creative piece of writing, which the structure and word choice create.

‘All You Need is Love’ is obviously a song lyric genre of writing, using aural and linguistic modes to convey political message at the time. In 1967, when this song was first released, Lennon admitted to it being a form of propaganda, spreading a positive message amidst the Vietnam War (rhetorical situation) and possibly the race riots in the US. They responded to a very negative time of war by releasing a song about love. The audience was anyone at that time, but the message is universal and the song is still listened to today, expanding the audience to a broad range of listeners.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/eat.22117/full

The above link is to a nonfiction research paper on eating disorders. The mode most utilized is linguistic though the use of tables and figures make a spatial mode a possibility as well. This is geared toward an academic audience or those interested in eating disorder research. There is a lot of research on different treatment methods for ED that is discussed throughout the paper and the use of some ED statistics are included as well. The rhetorical situation is how to reduce and treat ED on college campuses and the author did that by covering methods of treatment and proposing a population based model of future treatments. This is one of the articles, I referred to in a research paper I wrote and the one I plan on repurposing for a more widespread audience than just those interested in psychology.

2 thoughts to “Different Examples of Writing”

1. Hi Allie,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog post! I think you brought in very interesting and different examples to express genres, along with offered a backstory the the purpose of the original writing. Also, thanks for including the links so I could check them out for myself! I think that your examples really highlight the differing genres throughout writing, and show how writing is catered to all different audiences and ultimate purposes. Many think that writing is just words on a page, yet your examples show that there is much more sophistication that goes into each written out word. I especially liked your example of The Beatles song, “All You Need is Love,” because I think it portrays an interesting perspective on the genre of song lyrics. Many assume that music and songs are simply to entertain, but looking at the structure and word choice of the lyrics, it is clear that the song is persuasive to an audience–creating a whole new genre within the lyrics themselves. Again, great read!
    -Britni

2. Hey Allie!

I appreciated that you included links to everything you referenced, and even a song– very multimodal haha.

Nice job on the analysis, too. You incorporated referenced from the Writer/Designer book really well with the inclusion of what type of mode the writing used. What might be interesting to think about, too, would be about how each work breaks from genre conventions? Like, did any of them do anything unusual? Or were they all archetypal of that genre? Just food for thought and further expansion.

Kudos though! Your writing is smooth and really easy to read. 🙂

–Sarah