On the Hunt for Sources…..

Hey guyz!

So far, my sources have yet to respond to me….or they’re just ignoring me. I’m feeling a little like this poor being:

poor boy

Sad.

Anywho, I plan on contacting some other potential sources but thought I would ask for some tips from my fellow classmates first. My project’s quest is to provide the journalists’ point of view on the risks that come along with the profession. Background knowledge I’m hoping to acquire consists of journalistic ethics in local and foreign reporting, a definition of journalism this day in age, and its inherent risks. I know several student reporters but thought that interviewing people who have actually reported abroad may provide insight I, as a student reporter, obviously lack. If anyone knows of someone who has attended school for journalism specifically or has adequate experience in the professional “real world,” it would be appreciated beaucoup.

So…calling all:

• reporters/ journalists in general (obvi)
  • even online journalists/ bloggers
  • graduate students studying journalism
  • professors who have been foreign correspondents/ journalists
  • people familiar with the basics of journalistic ethics

Just throwing this out there— suggestions more than welcome! Thanks!

Hillary Crawford

Let's start with the basics- I am a third year honors political science major here at the university, with a minor in Writing (obviously, right?) and Global Media Studies (have to fit in those film classes). Until this summer, I was basically clueless as to what I wanted to pursue. "Grown-ups" always asked what I wanted to do with a political science degree. Simultaneously, fellow students around me declared they had finally found their destined direction in life. Well, all of these comments just made me wish that I had a set goal, that I knew what I wanted to do in the foreseeable future. But I didn't. After I came to terms with the beauty of keeping my options open while continuing to learn about a broad spectrum of topics, my lightbulb finally went off. Oh, the irony. Long story short, I think I want to be a journalist. But like everything in life, this is always subject to change.

4 thoughts to “On the Hunt for Sources…..”

1. Some journalist from NPR international thingy is in my AOSS course on climate change solutions! He has a fellowship for journalists to go back to college or something. He would probably have some thoughts! I have only spoken to him once but I could ask him for you! Especially if Ray would be willing to give me points for it lolololjkjkjk(reallythough)
    I’m creeping on journalist guy’s bio right now and apparently he’s traveled a lot to report from different countries. Seriously I will hit him up if you ask me to! Or you can, I don’t own him!

1. Wait I didn’t see this until now, I thought wordpress emailed you if you got a comment response? Would you still want to talk with him? I will ask him in class on Thursday if ya want talk to me in class 🙂

2. If you haven’t already, you should try reaching out the the MACS people! There’s a lot of journalist there. Or look at the 400 level COMM classes and there are some journalism focused classes you could reach out to.