Working on this project has been a joy. It’s radically different from most of my other assignments, which has made it all the more exciting. I was very pleased with my initial draft, but upon meeting with Shelley yesterday, I realized that I have a lot more work to do.
First, I stated that my genre is satire, but it seems that what I put together was not satire at all. Satire is very serious in its purpose, a fact of which I was previously unaware, so I was mistaking sarcasm for satire. So it seems that I’m going to change my genre to something much more purposeful and specific: a fake admission essay review. This new genre allows me to keep my original framework, and opens up a lot of new options for my remediating project. As of now, I’m planning to do a short video along the lines of “A Day in the Life of College Essay Reviewer”.
Another issue I have been contemplating for my project is the aesthetics of everything. Per Alexis’ request, I plan to print out the essay, mark it up in red pen/marker, and then scan and upload the final product. One potential obstacle with this is my handwriting is terrible at best, so I’m considering getting a friend to write for me. I could also keep everything digital and insert edits into the document in some script-like text. With consideration to everything, I plan to have a final product together in the next week or so. I’m very excited about the direction everything is headed!