A Blog Inside of a Blog

A good blog is one that holds informative value, either personal or impersonal, in a very messy, or a very organized format.  It is one where the writing is transparent to the writers voice and personality.  It holds opinion and stands as a record of time stamped historical thoughts or reactions.

I urge the class to follow the blog Planetizen.  As an architecture student, I have a strong opinion on the idea that everyone should be concerned and educated in the topics of environment and urban planning.  As a member of American society, you are a part of a number of different community bases, all of which you should contribute your voice to when it comes to making planning decisions.  The more that the community is involved with its facilities plans, the less inconvenience a person and their neighbors will experience as they go about their activities in a given day.

Planetizen constitutes as a good blog because it gives its audience a professionally reviewed state or status update on the condition of urban planning situations throughout the world.  It is a form of virtual travel.  It makes its audience more aware of their surroundings and assists in urban education.  Some of the bloggers use more humor than others, but all are knowledgable and personable in their styles of writing.

Rhetorical Situation:

• Audience: ALL people who exist
  • Exigence: serves as an account for urban planners and communal citizens, alike, to understand and learn from current international planning situations
  • Genre: informational nonfiction

Screen Shot 2015-09-19 at 1.28.18 PM

Caroline Petersen

Caroline is a contributing writer to the Sweetland Minor in Writing Blog. She is an architect in training and spends a lot of her time sipping on cappuccinos and discussing elements of malfunctioning building features. She is a city girl who spent her elementary summers in the middle of Iowa at her aunt and uncles farm. She is a woman of many (unusual) facets that are traditionally fairly useless.

2 thoughts to “A Blog Inside of a Blog”

1. Hey Caroline,

I really agree with your sentiments here about community engagement. I think your focus on engaging in conversations on development and planning decisions is really interesting, and also a very important call to action. Most people do not pay attention to those vital planning decisions that are constantly taking place in their districts. Where I’m from, Manhattan’s 3rd Council District, there is constantly development going on, and working for my local Councilmember, I have learned how important it really is to stay involved. People are always calling the office with complaints over infrastructure and various improvements they want to see take place, but so often, those people don’t show up to represent their ideas at Participatory Budgeting meetings (look it up, it’s really cool) or on capital budgeting petitions. This blog looks really cool, I’ll be sure to take a look. Thanks for sharing.

2. Hi Caroline,

I’ve got to admit, I was skeptical about your claim that Planetizen can serve a purpose to quote “ALL people who exist” end quote. With such a all-encompassing statement, you must understand my confusion; surely newborn kids have no use for a blog. However, upon further examination, I can confirm that all people who exist should make an effort to engage with this blog! While it is aimed towards those with an interest in architecture, it is generally worded with plain enough language and enough persuasion to convince me that all people should have enough of an interest in architecture to read the blog, as it affects us in great measures day to day. Thanks for the post!

Chad