Authenticity

One idea that really resonated with me while reading Lynn Hunt’s “How Writing Leads to Thinking” was how “writing requires an unending effort at something resembling authenticity.” What struck me the most about this particular idea was the word “resembling” when referring to the originality and creativity I believe every writer strives for when creating something from a blank page or screen. I find it comforting knowing that she as well as many other writers struggle to find that particular touch, that creativity that ultimately gives us the authority to call ourselves what one might define as a writer, consequently varying from all of the other writers in the world. Some writers may never find what they might call their magic touch, but for others it comes quite naturally. And this is okay, because we all face some sort of the same challenges as well as celebrations when it comes to the writing process. Another word that stands out to me specifically is “unending” because I believe that even if brilliant and inventive writing comes to you naturally, there will always be something more you can do, more you can add, and more you can ultimately learn from. What I really got out of this piece was the journey behind genuine writing is much more important and gratifying than a set point of completion. Continuing off of that, she refers to learning and growing as a writer via reading. Looking into other writer’s work and deciding what you like or maybe what you don’t like about it is so imperative and valuable to the writing process.

In relation to this course, I thinking this advice is extremely valid. I am not a big fan of reading, but ever since we talked about some of our favorite writers on day one, I have begun to notice that I do subconsciously annotate while I read and I do learn from how and why certain pieces are made. I think this will really help me to understand not only this beginning course to the Minor in Writing, but the minor as a whole. From this reading, I have concluded that one of my main goals for this minor is to be able to accept the fact that I may not ever reach what I believe to be my full, genius potential as a writer; but, as long as I am experiencing and learning from my journey, I will morph into the strong and authentic writer I know I can be proud of.

2 thoughts to “Authenticity”

1. Nikki – I remember you mentioning this idea of authenticity in class, I completely agreeing that striving for authenticity can be a daunting feat. I often feel like I can’t be truly authentic until I’ve found my voice. But what exactly is “my voice,” and do I have only one? One comforting thing to think about is that we’re all writers, regardless of how anyone else defines it. The real struggle is being able to say “I’m a writer” and say it with pride. Great post!

2. I love that you focused on authenticity here, a term that is very ambiguous and something we’re never quite sure if we’ve attained. In class, Shelley asked something along the lines of what it means to be authentic, and I think in this post you’ve come to terms with the fact that we might never know that/reach its purest form, and that’s okay!! It’s a good guideline for writing in the future. Good job 🙂