Investigative Journalism, Of Course

My repurposing project falls under the category of investigative journalism. What I love about this genre is that there are a lot of ways to approach it, and a multitude of ways to build ethos, pathos, and logos.

One of my favorite investigative journalists/authors, Malcolm Gladwell, wrote an article titled Big and Bad that I thought utilized some particularly effective rhetorical strategies. In his text, he explored the topic of the history of SUVs and automotive safety in America. He wove in historical facts and quotes from interviews with experts on the subject. Not only that, but he also visited an automobile-testing center and test-drove cars himself. By involving himself in the process of automotive-testing, he essentially wove himself into the narrative and was able to establish ethos very effectively.

gladwell1
                           Malcolm Gladwell

Another piece of investigative journalism that I particularly admired was How I Rebuilt Tinder And Discovered The Shameful Secret Of Attraction, by Anne Helen Petersen. What she essentially did was recreated tinder by posting images of various people, asked people to swipe based on attraction, and then give their reasoning for why they swiped the way they did. I thought this was an incredibly creative way of approaching her topic on general attraction. She described her experimental setup clearly, stated the stats from the experiment, and then analyzed her results in a fascinating narrative.

longform-original-2770-1410452587-16

These examples pose really fascinating options for me to approach my own investigative piece. As people say, the sky’s the limit.

Honestly, I feel inspired. Calling writers everywhere: Find a creative method to construct your argument.

Minna Wybrecht

Minna's a PreMed student at the University of Michigan. She believes in three things. Milk chocolate. Ballroom dancing. To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong.

2 thoughts to “Investigative Journalism, Of Course”

1. Hey Minna,
    I love these examples, especially the one about Tinder. That is such a new development today and people need to realize the psychology behind social media. I think both these rhetorical situations are great inspirations for your future repurposing project – especially the way they explained their methods.

2. Hi Minna,
    With investigative journalism it really is important that the author observe their topic from all relevant perspectives, much like how Malcolm Gladwell included hands-on research from a variety of automotive processes. You are definitely in the right direction by thinking about different approaches by which to address your issue. This will assure no gaps in information for the reader.