LifeHacker

I won’t lie; I had to do some searching for a blog I felt fit to share with the cohort. But when I stumbled upon LifeHacker, I felt more than inclined to share. In its most basic sense, LifeHacker is a blog for the creative, clever, and inventive to share their tips and tricks on how to “hack’ everyday situations—make situations easier or cheaper than you ever expected. As I skimmed the posts this morning, I saw tips on everything from making a more professional Gmail signature to ending relationship bickering to converting old paper clips into a charging station. LifeHacker literally has tips for just about everything…

892e9cda00a999729471b2645ab5b71a

Eric Ravenscraft’s blog post titled “Practice Frugality to Boost Creativity, Not Just Save Money” is a great place to start reading if you haven’t read this blog before. While the post itself is very short in length, I feel the overriding idea of this post well characterizes the blog as a whole. In essence, the tips found in the blog may or may not be realistic/useful to everybody, but the ingenuity behind such ideas makes the blog interesting to read. I find it very entertaining to explore others atypical solutions to very typical problems.

The creativity and resourcefulness displayed by the bloggers reaches out to two audiences simultaneously. The first group is that comprised of practically-inclined and perhaps slightly type-A people who read with intentions of using the advice. The second, and perhaps larger audience is that comprised of people intrigued by the inventiveness and originality of the posts. While finding a use for your old peanut butter jars may be useful, the real value (and fun) arguably lies in the creativity of the idea. This blog displays simple yet innovative ideas that rekindle practicality and a do-it-your-self attitude. As Ravenscraft states, “when you actively try to avoid solving problems by throwing money at them, you are forced to look for more creative solutions.” Everyone can benefit from thinking outside of the box every once in a while. In that sense, the instructional genre that LifeHacker falls under may fall short of categorizing the true essence of the blog. LifeHacker is a creative exercise. If you give it a try, perhaps the ensuing creative boost will transpire into all activities throughout the day.

In comparison to other blogs, the posts in LifeHacker are relatively short and concise. So any time you have a few minutes, I suggest checking out LifeHacker. The LifeHacker Twitter page isn’t bad either.

3 thoughts to “LifeHacker”

1. I totally agree that I had to scour the internet to find a blog to share – I don’t necessarily have a lot of experience following blogs in my free time. I love that you defined the audience as ‘type A’ vs. ‘creatives’ – or people that physically use the ideas religiously vs. people who appreciate the ideas behind them.

2. I experienced some similar struggle when finding a blog to post on the cohort page. I really liked this blog and I do not think that it being short diminishes the point it is trying to make. Although some things are a bit quirky, I do not think that it is a blog that everyone can benefit from. it definitely sparks creativity and gets you thinking how you can be resourceful in solving problems.

3. I actually find the brevity of LifeHacker quite refreshing! And I was surprised by the professional, well designed layout of the sight (I was expecting something more like buzzfeed). The writing itself doesn’t waste any space, but still comes off as conversational and informal. This is an awesome, relevant, and helpful blog that I will definitely continue checking out in the future.