Radishes of Rhetoric

You know those people whose minds seem to produce things of beauty, ideas formed on wisps of sugar-spun candy twisted around clematis vines, basking in the dewey sunrise of a new morning? Yeah. I’m not one of ’em. My mind, body, and soul are all currently running on half a liter of Diet Mountain Dew, two starburst candies, and a vat of leftover chicken tikka masala the size of my skull. I only provide these details to assure you that I don’t really have it together and that I’m really surprised I’m sounding semi-literate now. I’m really, really surprised. Like, I thought I would have to plop my butt down in this chair and bribe myself with a starburst for each paragraph written, and that’s how this would get done. But I don’t think that now. I’ve started writing, and the kernel of an idea I started with- ‘starting this post’- is actually chugging right along. That’s actually one of the points the author makes, I think, just diving in, abandoning research, and knowing that the only way you’re going to go is if you actually start to go.

So…go.

I like what she says about there being so much horror glazed over a blank computer screen. And I mean glazed over, like when you’re in a Krispy Kreme store and they’re making the donuts right in front of you. Not like how your eyes glaze over. I think there’s maybe not actual terror, but urgency, in something blank being presented in this minor program. We’ve had two classes so far, and the most nerve-wracking moment thus far as been when Shelley stood at the board and wanted to make a list of ways we could reverse-engineer something. The board was blank, and it was up to fill it. Boomboomboom, around the table we went, tossing out ideas till the whiteboard had red scribbles all over it. I liked the feel of that, of collaboration to make something empty something full of ideas. And I hope that continues throughout the program.

Another idea I really like is her rule about the radishes, about weeding and raking or else all your radishes will be eaten up by the earth. I also like how ‘radishes’ starts with an ‘r’ and how ‘rhetoric’ does too. Alliterations are my thing. I like how our re-purposing projects are centered around revision, because they’re literally big revisions themselves. I’m also really looking forward on learning to revise more effectively in general. It’s like a revision within a revision. Revision-ception.

The last notion of hers I really liked was that momentum required a certain level of tunnel vision. She’s so right! If we were going to make every word as efficient as we possible could, our heads would explode from redoing every little phrase and exhausting an infinite number of sources. Sometimes I get like that. Sometimes I just want to read all that there is about something because I just want my writing to be good and for people to like it. I’m really excited to just get to learn about using the resources that I have during this minor, to write the most efficiently I can!

Ellie Snyder

Underweight, annoying glasses-enthusiast seeks nice Jewish boy to sit on her feet when they're cold. And also some good words and some not-too-strong coffee.

2 thoughts to “Radishes of Rhetoric”

1. Ellie, let me start by saying thank you for making me laugh out loud multiple times while reading your blog post. I especially enjoyed the Starburst bit! Also, I’m not sure if you intended to do this or not, but your first sentence, in which you ask, “You know those people whose minds seem to produce things of beauty, ideas formed on wisps of sugar-spun candy twisted around clematis vines, basking in the dewey sunrise of a new morning,” reminded me of wisps of sugar-spun candy twisted around clematis vines, basking in the dewey sunrise of a new morning. It is clear to me through the way your writing naturally flows that you already have a grasp on Hunt’s concept of writing without thinking. By this, I do not mean that your writing sounds unintelligent, but that it appears effortless. Another thought I enjoyed was, “Revision-ception.” That is such a perfect way to describe what we are being asked to do in the Gateway course! From your writing, it doesn’t seem like you are nervous at all for the revision process…good for you 🙂
    Again, thank you for the laughs. I am looking forward to reading more from you!

2. Hello Ellie, I have to be honest. This made me hungry, I had to get up half way through the reading and grab a bite. I really enjoyed how conversational your writing. I think that the way that you present yourself in this matches perfectly with the tone that the post has. The transition in this, from the introduction to the conclusion, is rather graceful. I never thought I would say this, but using Krispy Kreme analogizes work in favor towards the charm of the blog post. I mean food is so central to everyday life, if you want to make a connection with someone, incorporate food. I think you managed to do that quite well. The humor in this was also very well done, I like that you can make fun of yourself in order to establish trust with the reader, and also laugh at yourself. I don’t mean that in a bad way either, trust me, I’ve had nights that were I’ve had to run coffee intravenously just to stay up, I know that feeling.