Let’s Reflect

Hello world! I’m back for some more meta-cognition, and this time it’s about Project 1: Re-Purposing an Argument. This project has definitely been a work in progress, but as I reflect on where I started and where I am now, I’m pleased to see that I have in fact made some progress. When I first pitched my project to the class, I had a general sense of what I wanted the final product to look like, but there were still so many unanswered questions looming over my head. To start, I struggled with narrowing down my audience and choosing a genre. Thankfully, I think I finally found the answers to both questions (with the help of my awesome Writing 220 peers, of course!). I decided to cater my argument to Millennials and to present it in the form of a multi-modal blog post. I’m excited to get creative with this assignment and play around with its overall presentation (e.g. font, layout, links to outside sources, images, etc.). I hope the purpose of my project shines through after everything falls into place. Fingers crossed!

images

The most difficult roadblock I’m facing right now is my overwhelming realization of the many moving parts of this project. I’ve thrown around plenty of ideas, but now I struggle with how to piece them all together into a cohesive project. I’ve also had trouble balancing Projects 1 and 2; I want to put everything I have into this project, but at the same time, I don’t want to exhaust all opportunities for re-mediation. This is the first assignment I’ve had in which the final draft isn’t exactly final. The fact that I can go back and change my re-purposed project again is both exciting and daunting, but I’m definitely up to the challenge!

My other concern relates to the issue of sentimentality. Even “Humans of New York,” a celebrated photo-blog, struggles with the criticism of sentimentality and its negative connotation. In fact, I even wrote a blog post last semester about some of these criticisms. I want to showcase my life-changing experience in Armenia in a meaningful and powerful way, but I would hate for my readers to perceive this as an attempt (intentional or not) to exploit global suffering in order to guilt Millennials into volunteering. But this is where you all come in! Your fresh set of eyes and keen perception will be much appreciated after my rough draft is complete.

I feel very fortunate to have so many photographs from my trip to use as inspiration. Flipping through my album brings tears of joy and sadness to my eyes, and I immediately feel the urge to share my story with everyone around me. Don’t worry—the next time I look through these photos, I’ll be sure to have a Word document open 🙂 I want to save most of these photos for my re-mediated project (which will likely be in the form of a video or slideshow), but I’ll definitely include a few of my favorites in the re-purposed blog post.

Overall, I’m less concerned about lacking ideas and more concerned about how my ideas will present themselves on paper. Will I make effective use of multi-modality in my blog post? Will my audience understand my purpose? Will my audience be narrow enough? If anyone else struggles with similar concerns, please reach out. We can take comfort in not being alone!

57102908

2 thoughts to “Let’s Reflect”

1. Firstly…. You are not alone!!!! I am also doing a blog post and struggling in how to best portray my argument before turning it into something different again in project 2. I love the multi-modality idea, making the blog post in a way jump off the computer screen for the reader.

Also, I really don’t think your project will come off negatively in terms of sentimentality at all! It’s obvious that you care so much about your experience and it touched you in a way that will make portraying it very genuine. I can’t wait to see what you come up with 🙂

2. So I totally forgot to respond before Friday so I apologize!! But, I totally get what you mean by trying to cater to a specific audience and trying to see if they understand what you are putting out there. It is definitely difficult and I am struggling with that similarly as well!! I love your idea of multi modality in this blog, I think this will really be a nice gateway into your second project. I’m also eager to see your favorite pictures from Armenia as kind of sneak peek too! I know this will turn out awesome, you seem to be on the right track 🙂