Navigating the Constant Stream

It is difficult to grasp just how many thousands and thousands of movies exist in the world even as a film student. I remember one of the first History of Film classes I took and looked at the list of movies we would be watching for the semester, excited to discuss some of my favorites. Well, I hadn’t seen any of the movies that were on the list. Scratch that, I hadn’t even heard of any of the movies that were on the list. How could that be?? New to the major, this unfamiliarity certainly startled me awake, and the feeling of being more or less overwhelmed continued through the semester (let alone the entire year) as references and allusions were made to movies all over the world, all that were unknown to me.

Cinema is a vast, vast world. I am coming to know just how vast it is once again as I gather research for my repurposing project, and my list of movies I need to watch keeps expanding. Traditional academic research makes up a good part of the work that still needs to be done, mostly reading historical texts and analyses. But as mentioned, I am increasingly discovering how many recent movies I need to familiarize myself with, one’s I haven’t already seen, in order to make connections between neorealism and current film trends. As always, I am excited to see what a new movie holds, but unfortunately this is no timely task. I really will have to make sure I am setting aside enough time to be able to watch these movies that are crucial to my project, without getting too overwhelmed.

Rachel Hutchings

Los Angeles born, Ann Arbor raised. I'm a film student at the University of Michigan and an ardent music junkie on the side. I'm sure you'll catch me at local gigs around town.

2 thoughts to “Navigating the Constant Stream”

1. Hey Rachel,
    I totally empathize with your “wake-up” call experience. Once you start delving into the mass amounts of films or articles out there regarding a certain topic it can be super overwhelming. I actually had a similar experience when searching for material regarding my topic on sexism in the workplace. I think it’s best to go through and categorize data and then go from there. That being said I am very excited to continue working on your project and ideas with you, and I’m confident you will find the time to research and analyze amazing films.

2. I’m completely on the same page as you in regards to be totally overwhelmed by the amount of research I have to do. Anna brings up a really good point. I think creating a layout of your video will definitely be incredibly helpful. It’ll shed light on what specifically you’re looking for and where to find that information in the most efficient way. But in general, I think watching films is an amazing assignment. I’m excited to see what you discover through these films.