Sinful Cinema

Everybody’s a critic.

I’m sure you’ve heard that saying before, and I am sure that just as many of you criticized one thing at some point in your life. So, if this statement is true, then it would not be too far fetched to assume that just as everybody can be a critic, everything can be criticized in some way. That includes movies; in fact, I would argue that movies are one of the most criticized forms of entertainment out there. People rank how good a movie is based on their own personal preferences and standards, and for those who write movie reviews, they have the power to influence the number of people that see a movie.

One problem with being a movie critic, however, is highlighting specific moments in a movie that an individual would have disliked. Imagine trying to describe a movie scene you hate to a person who does not know what you’re talking about; it would go something along the lines of “Oh yeah, I hate that one scene with the sic-fi effects, where that one guy did that one thing to that other guy, it was so fake.” In other words, its description is incredibly vague and not helpful in the slightest to those who are genuinely interested in hearing your opinion.

That’s the beauty of CinemaSins, a popular youtube channel that utilizes digital rhetoric to highlight regrettable aspects of a movie. While playing specific scenes of a film in the video, they comment on why that moment in particular was “sinful” in their eyes and how it detracts from the overall value of the movie. By using movies as a visual aid to help show exactly what parts were sinful, it not only creates clarity and a stronger connection between the audience and the video creator, but it also creates a community that closer analyzes this form of digital media.

.cinemasins

Cinemasins instills into its viewers the ability to observe and point out particular details that may be missed initially. This channel is incredibly compelling due to the fact that exposes how people gloss over details that may be missed due to being captivated by the film’s entertainment value. It reveals how easily captivated society can be when it comes to watching films through creative rhetoric that pokes fun at the film for the errors, not the audience for being unable to perceive them. That is why I enjoy the channel so much: it serves as a guide for the audience members on how to perceive movies beyond the superficial level and truly analyze it as a form of entertainment, a technique that I do not see all too much in the world today.

Robert Molnar

Just someone who enjoys Netflix, music, and tennis. I also write a little.

3 thoughts to “Sinful Cinema”

1. Hi Robert,

I’ve never heard of this YouTube channel before, but I think it’s both hilarious and definitely useful. As consumers, we often forget to critically engage with the media we’re so used to seeing, but this channel is clearly defying that and engaging with the media both critically and intellectually. I think a lot of entertainment viewers are viewing to escape their reality, so even if they noticed something was wrong, their minds may choose to ignore it simply because shattering that fantasy would be unsettling in their desired escape.

2. Robert — I love Cinemasins! I definitely agree that, although the channel is relatively playful in tone, it really does fill a niche of film criticism in regards to visuals. I liked how you pointed out the difference between poking fun at the film and poking fun at an ignorant audience. I definitely think Cinemasins benefits from that tactic. Cinemasins is also a fun channel because of how they format their videos. The way they pause the clip and wait a moment before adding the arrow or onscreen comment makes the audience feel like they are in on the same joke as the ‘author’ of the video, creating a kind of alliance.

3. Hey Robert,
    I think you hit the nail on the head when describing what its like to hear a negative review about a movie you have yet to see, and I touched on this a little bit in my post about music reviews. It can be hard to really wrap your head around what the reviewer is criticizing, and its cool that Cinemasins is here to turn the audience into their own film critic. Movies do a good trick and mirror job of distracting the audience with their special effects, especially more recently as technology has advanced, so it is probably more crucial than ever that movie viewers are able to disect films for themselves, aside from all the flashy hoopla. I’ve never heard of Cinemasins until reading your post so now of course I am extremely curious haha.