Website, Documentary, Point and Click, etc…

Last year in my writing 125 class, we looked at “Writing Spaces”. One of the pieces we looked at specifically was a stunning example of digital rhetoric. Welcome to Pine Point (I recommend you go full screen for this one) is an interactive web-based documentary about the people and town of a former mining community in Canada. Essentially, it discusses a very niche topic. However, the interaction of the viewer clicking to carry through the story, as well as the in depth personal profiles and anecdotes, helps to impact a broader audience.

This multimodal piece employs aural, visual, gestural, linguistic, and (of course) spatial methods to provoke the audience. I had to catch myself from saying “reader” there. Because really, you need all the parts to get the entire message. The audience takes on the role of a reader, a listener, a viewer as well as a concerned bystander, a younger person listening to an elder relative, and a fellow nostalgic.

Pine Point
Galleries on Galleries enveloped in tranquil sound

Now, this is a very specific example, and I noticed a lot of other people had more sweeping examples. To be honest, I’m kind of in love with this platform. It takes a while to get through, but that’s probably one of the points the author/designer was getting at–it’s strange to think of a whole town disappearing and only surviving in memory. That being said, does anyone know of any similar interactive web documentaries? I’d love to check them out.

Emily Post

Mostly books and buildings, with a hefty dose of veggie foods.

2 thoughts to “Website, Documentary, Point and Click, etc…”

1. Emily, I agree with you in that a successful piece of digital rhetoric has the power to draw in a very diverse audience. Digit rhetoric must therefore be taken seriously as the ensuing impact has potential to be significant. But how does digital rhetoric expand its audience past that of a traditional manuscript? We must understand that readers often pursue different genres in different multimodal forms. For example, while someone may enjoy listening to country music, they may not enjoy reading about country music or watching country music videos. We as consumers of rhetoric pursue a diverse array of genres in various modes. Digital rhetoric can take advantages of these various modes and therefore capture a more diverse audience because of it.

2. Hey Emily,
    I couldn’t get myself to stop! I absolutely loved the many facets of this website and thank you so much for sharing it. As a designer, I know that you know the importance of aesthetic and visuals, as well as the importance of suiting the time and context of something while representing it. The guy who made this website was clearly very passionate about this place. But what he was able to create out of his passion was something that was truly amazing.
    This piece has inspired me to use my passion in order to embody myself and my work when we go ahead to make our website for this class.
    The piece screams multi modality and digital rhetoric. We see and hear and we can virtually touch and interact. The site gives us gestures, too. The text is weirdly perfect and fits the style that I would expect for a piece that is reflective on the “good ol’ times”. Not too formal, not too casual. Just convincing.
    You nailed it with this reference!!
    Looking forward to reading and interacting with more of your posts over the next couple of weeks, Emily!
    Best and see you on Monday,
    Caroline