A Month of Content Creation

Since the start of the school year, I will fully admit that I have not been focused on any specific thing. When I say that, I mean that I have not been solely focused certain topics/assignments. Luckily, I have been able to do things slightly sporadically as I searched for jobs, went to work, and do classwork. However, I know that this is not going to be the case for my capstone project. The amount of research, writing, web developing and editing that is going to be necessary to make this project successful honestly scares me.

So to make things less scary I have made the decision to put some things on hold for the month of November. This week marks the last week I will actively look for jobs. I have to apply for everything by Sunday. I won’t deny that the worry of finding a full time job and starting my career has been at the front of my mind since school started. This has caused me to look at job boards, get depressed, and worry about my future instead of focusing on the present. I would spend hours looking at these postings, trying to find something that I thought I was qualified for, and by the time I was done or had given up the search, my free time is gone, and I no longer have the chance to do other school work.

To keep this from making my life much more difficult, I am not going to do this  and focus all of my energy on creating this capstone project. I believe that doing this will give me enough extra time to actually focus my work and let me do the content generation I need to do. If I’m lucky, I will have a much better idea as to how much time this actually takes me, and I will not have to continue this. Also, hopefully this will allow me to make my project the exact way  want to do it.

Clarence Stone

A sports fanatic from Detroit Michigan. The moment I put a pencil to paper, I realized that writing was something that I cared about, and I can't wait to become better.

2 thoughts to “A Month of Content Creation”

1. This post pretty much sums up the last 2 months for me. Finding a job was an incredibly stressful, time-consuming, and bureaucratic process. At the end of the day, I found it liberating to just realize that when your schedule gets crazy, you’re not actually able to do everything well. Instead, you just have to prioritize effectively, and realize that it’s ok to sacrifice your grades a little to help you secure a job. Or vice-versa depending on your priorities. Instead of trying to do everything, I think the key is prioritizing and executing a few things so you don’t spread yourself too thin and do everything poorly.

2. CJ, your post captures this frustrating tension about the final semester(s) of undergrad: Many are expected to exit college with a job, and yet the process of school encumbers the job-seeker from being able to fully commit to the seeking. I hope that your job-seeking hiatus provides you the time to complete your assignments and also restores your energy so that when you resume the seeking, you’ll be refreshed.

I, too, am fearful because of the capstone project, but I have been thinking a lot about worst-case scenarios. What if we create something that fails to meet our expectations? What if we do not love what we create? What if it’s meager? I am liberated by the face that no one is allowed to harm us and that our lives will continue regardless of the capstone outcome.

Good luck!