An Unexpected New Path!

“Learning a new system is learning a new ability”.

Over this past weekend, I was able to delve into a brand new video editing software that I had yet to explore: Adobe Premiere CS6! I had all but mastered the ins and outs of my two favorite video editing programs (Sony Vegas Pro and iMovie), and was very excited to begin a new adventure with Adobe Premiere…Right off the bat, I had heard many times over that Premiere Pro offers the most complex timeline editing and color correction tools in the commercial video editing software market. I was hesitant to begin using Premiere Pro from a young age, given the barriers to entry that non-trained editing enthusiasts like me have in adapting to programs like this. But to say that I was not absolutely thrilled to have purchased my very own copy of this software would be quite misleading.

Something I noticed from the get go is that Premiere Pro lacks any sort of prompts that guides users toward learning even the BASICS of timeline editing, simple sorts of things like splitting clips into separate portions on the timeline. You are truly left to your own when exploring Premiere Pro, which could be quite disconcerting..Although it took me a good few hours to adapt to Premiere without the aid of tutorials, I feel that my transition into the program would have gone nearly nowhere without my previous knowledge of the Sony Vegas and iMovie editing programs, during the same first few hours. My absolute favorite portion of Premiere to learn using was the color correcting mechanism, along with the overlay tools, which quite literally blew what’s available in Sony Vegas and Premiere Pro out of the water.. And although I’m not trying to turn this post into a tech review, I would be a fool not to mention that Premiere has quickly become a joy to play around with. Since I had been accustomed to the more intermediate editing software on today’s market, I hadn’t challenged myself in exploring more with the top echelon type of software like Adobe Premiere. It would seem that the timing in picking up Premiere was just right, and I can’t wait to see where this new road in editing leads.

Henry Khederian

Student, Resident Advisor, Mentor. University of Michigan, Class of 2017.

2 thoughts to “An Unexpected New Path!”

1. From what it looked like in class, you know your video editing software! From a distance it looked like you were teaching half the class a crash course on movie software! I think that it is awesome you are using this project to explore a new editing platform. Especially one that gives little example on how it operates. How do you think that the final product of using this software will differ from another software you are used to? I cannot wait to see the final product!

2. Henry,
    That’s awesome that you are so stoked to fully master Adobe Premiere. My brother used that to edit a documentary he made and it turned out fantastic. With your previous experience with iMovie and Sony Vegas I’m sure you will master the software quickly!