Blog 10: The Next Jenna Rink

Courtesy of giphy.com
Courtesy of giphy.com
I feel like I definitely have these moments at points. Since entering the minor, writing has become thought of as less academic and more as a career-oriented passion and exploration. Granted, these are all fantastic things. I feel like I’ve really been given the chance to refine my skills in the writing areas I love, ones that I could see myself pursuing in the future (possibly and hopefully), but because I couldn’t hate writing analytical, academic essays more if I tried, I wasn’t encouraged to further these skills in the minor-thankfully, but perhaps not entirely to my advantage. When I sit down to write papers for my major, Communications, I still get a sort of nauseous feeling in my stomach. How is it that writing can be so rewarding and so easy when I’m writing for new media, for blog/editorial pieces and to speak my mind, but the second I have to quote an author or reference a citation- I lose all interest. I guess it’s like this for most students, but there are times I wish the minor had given me the chance to cultivate less of a hate for this papers and more of an acceptance. As far as writing ambitions I haven’t had the chance to engage in yet, I definitely want to do more interviewing of people and practice drafting feature pieces. In my remediation project, I’ve gotten to talk to people I would never get the chance to talk to, had it not been for this project. I think I’m a fairly comfortable person, so I would love to see how my comfort with people could translate into further interviews and pieces, especially if I want to try working at a magazine when I’m older? If you haven’t seen 13 going on 30, Jenna Rink is living my dream life (except for the part when she skips 17 years of her life with no recollection- so I guess I’m more so referring to her job in the film). For the publications I write for on campus, I dabble in this work a bit, but not as much as I’d like. Perhaps I’ll look into joining another publication for the semesters, one that will challenge me to do this work.

Rebecca Soverinsky

Rebecca is a Junior (please send help for her mental state in accepting this and a walker for her aging body) studying Communications at the University of Michigan. She believes award show season is the best season (shout out to E! News) and is always willing to take on a challenge or learn something new- as long as there is Nutella involved. She hopes to learn as much as she can from the Sweetland Minor in Writing, and she's excited to see what's in store.

2 thoughts to “Blog 10: The Next Jenna Rink”

1. I think you bring up some fascinating points. I’m definitely on the same page as you in terms of how some forms of writing make me super excited, and other forms are just like “Eh, that again?” I find creative writing to be the most compelling. Whenever I think or talk about it, I can feel myself get all bubbly and excited. Then when it comes to scientific research papers written for the sake of publication, I feel the life sucked out of me. Why people would actually love writing those for pure enjoyment is beyond me. This form of writing is absolutely crucial in terms of contributing new findings to the Outside World, but an objective tone kind of turns me off. It becomes much more on What is said rather than How things were said. And I think a huge part of writing and language and communication is the tone in which the words are spoken.

2. Hi Rebecca,

It’s interesting reading your post since up until about a year ago I was in the exact same boat! To most writers (like myself and the particular type who frequents this minor, and would always rather blog or novel then write about *ugh* academics), academic writing is pretty much the bane of our existence – always on a deadline, never written because you want to, and too often on a topic that you have next to no passion for. For the longest time, it tripped me up, until I started trying to view those assignments from a writer’s perspective, rather than a student’s, and seeing how I could bring something new and personal to each research paper, no matter how boring. I know it’s easier said than done, and for me it’s still certainly a work in progress, but hey – we keep coming back to how this class is all about taking risks, so maybe bringing some of that back to your other classes will help.