Blog 6: Digital Rhetoric

Digital rhetoric has been hard at first to wrap my head around. Obviously digital rhetoric exists everywhere for us. We’re constantly on our phones and laptops going through emails, facebook, working hard… or hardly working. What has been most interesting has been my changed perspective. I realize now that not only is everything manufactured on the internet (given, yes, but I’m not a tech person so give me a break) but it is visually prepared in a way that hopes to maximize appeal, influence, and affect. That is super interesting. Just how any essay is written to have the biggest impact on its audience, any digital media is formed through the aspects we’ve discussed to be as productive in its goal as possible. Online platforms offer literally a blank slate, and so the options are truly only limited, for the most part, by one’s imagination.

In thinking on what I will do to remediate my project, I am keeping in mind that I am by all means limited by many more factors than imagination. I don’t have all the technical skills or know-how to put together what I imagine (and my imagination could think of plenty of options…). I need to choose a mode, as well, that is recognizable to the audience; something that makes sense given the context, for the sake of productivity and effectiveness.

My goal for the remediation will be to give better perspective on the people, opinions, history and current events associated with neighborhood inequalities in New York and specifically Chelsea. This will help my hypothetical audience delve deeper into the lives of those on either side of the boundaries that exist in places like West 16th street. I want to focus on the personal/people aspect of the issues, but I also want to continue on with some of the rhetorical elements of ‘zooming in and out’ and providing a deeper breadth of context and information in order for the reader to then make better sense of the microcosm (in the context of the whole). This being said, I’ll need to incorporate information, like I wrote up there ^^, that will give this rboader context – and I can also do this through the lense of viewing ‘people’ not ‘things.’ Here’s an example, and something I am considering: focusing in on “the players,” which include journalists, politicians, community organizers, residents, and business owners, and more. I can focus in on certain people, or types of people, to create this network of knowledge and information that my audience can feel interpersonally connected to while they learn, so that it may stick with them on a more personal longer-lasting level. I envision doing this through the format of a NYTimes infographic or something of that nature. Here’s a cool example: http://www.nytimes.com/pages/national/class/index.html

My work would be less statistical, but this provides a glance at the type of organizing of content I would want to have. Different perspectives and lenses on the same issue. There are pictures of people, there are interviews and slideshows, there are graphs, there is a ‘series’ involved, which takes the reader through different types of ways in which (for what this serious is concerned with) “Class matters.”

That’s what I’ve thought out so far!! Thanks for reading.