Blog Post 8: Toying with Tumblr, Phumbling with Photoshop

So, I’ve recently delved into the world of Tumblr, and I have to say, it’s honestly pretty cool. The website itself gives the user a lot of freedom and flexibility to play around with different layouts, fonts, backgrounds and options for visual consumption. It’s been really awesome for me to see different examples of various companies and users that utilize the platform for such different uses, but no matter what the use, the individuals employed the website to serve each of their varying needs, and it seemed to serve them quite well. Through my exploration of tumblr, I was able to come up with four different storyboards for possibilities of the layout of my “Humors of Ann Arbor” page. (I’ve attached them at the bottom of this post.) The best way for me to see what I liked and didn’t like, was to upload some sample photos and play around with testing different layouts. After about an hour and a half of toying around, I narrowed my picks down to four viable options. Each layout offers something a little bit different, and I think I would be happy going with any of them. Another nice thing about tumblr is that if I decide to change my layout after taking and uploading all of the photos for my project, I can. It won’t edit the content- it just changes the layout of it.

I also started playing around with Photoshop and looking at the photo editing capabilities of the software. Honestly, Photoshop can do so many things, but it’s almost because it can do so  much, I feel like I can’t do as much with it as I would be able to do with a simpler editing system. I wish (and I am eventually planning to) take some courses on Photoshop to learn its ins and outs, but as of now it’s a bit frustrating trying to create things in the software that end up looking pretty bad, when I know it has the capability to make them look amazing. Hopefully, through some work I do with this project, I’ll be able to figure out and explore more of what it has to offer. I’m sure I can learn as go a bit, but I definitely think taking courses on Photoshop would be the most effective way to come close to utilizing the software for all it really can do. I’m excited to continue both tumblr and Photoshop as I make my way through my remediation project. I’m resentfully thankful that this class is here to push me to look at two things I’m super unfamiliar (and pretty uncomfortable) with 🙂

Rebecca Soverinsky

Rebecca is a Junior (please send help for her mental state in accepting this and a walker for her aging body) studying Communications at the University of Michigan. She believes award show season is the best season (shout out to E! News) and is always willing to take on a challenge or learn something new- as long as there is Nutella involved. She hopes to learn as much as she can from the Sweetland Minor in Writing, and she's excited to see what's in store.

2 thoughts to “Blog Post 8: Toying with Tumblr, Phumbling with Photoshop”

1. Hey! I think it’s awesome that you’re taking a dip in the Photoshop and Tumblr worlds. I definitely have no experience with either, but they’re great apps (apps? mediums?) to use. I’m really excited to see the layout you decide to go with for your webpage. I’d say layouts make a huge difference in the overall “feel” of a project. If you really decide to take a class on Photoshop, let me know. I was actually planning on the same thing: )
    P.S. I love the word play of “Humors of Ann Arbor.”

2. Hi Rebecca,

What a cool way to utilize the storyboard assignment for your project – I would’ve never figured out how to adapt that to a photography website/blog like yours, but it looks like you made it work. Like Minna, I know very little about Tumblr and Photoshop, besides those of my friends who are so addicted to one and/or both that they won’t shut up about them, but my understanding is that if you dig too deep into them, you’ll never turn back. Not that that’s a bad thing – I’ve heard from many that they are excellent platforms. And I myself would love to know more about Photoshop (and photography in general) so if you find one such course, be sure to let me know.

Chad