Decision Making

Writing can sometimes be hard even if it is “your thing.” I have had a rough time constructing the story of the BSU. As I continue to create material I find that I need to write and take breaks because generating prose is a lot different than generating material from a research perspective. I have actually done lots of research in regards to my project but a good bulk of it has been on the techniques of storytelling. The other information I used was from the interviews. My project is really a retelling of the stories I heard from my interviewees, but with a change of persepctive, proximity and point of view.

While it has been difficult to find the words I am emmersing myself in a process that requires trust. I will have to tell the story, however rough it is, and from there going on to revising will help in my story actually being shaped into the technique. More on this later, but those are some of my current challenges.

2 thoughts to “Decision Making”

1. Hi Ayana,

I can definitely relate to this post. Even when I’m in a writing ‘mood’ I do eventually hit a wall when I recognize a decrease in the quality of my content. At that point I try and take a break of any sort to ‘recharge’ to an extent. It’s almost like a threshold I reach and know that the content simply won’t have the same quality if I were to continue. Especially when I force myself to continue, I generally tend to stop enjoying the writing or feeling productive. I think it’s critical at this point to take a break and walk away from your work.

In your case it sounds like you are on a good track anyway and probably won’t be in a time crunch since you’ve been managing the interviewing well. It also sounds like researching your storytelling research made you much more introspective about you go about telling the stories of others. This care and serious weight you put on telling other people’s stories is not only thoughtful but also necessary to the quality of your project s I think its great you’re considering that.

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

2. Hi Ayana,

I’m experiencing something very similar to you where I get lost in one form of writing, for example the very research-based as opposed to the free-form, or have trouble transitioning from one to another. Compounding this struggle is the fact that sometimes the people who consider writing “their thing”, as you say, feel they have the most riding on whatever it is that they’re creating, the most pressure to make it flawless — that for me is where the wall comes in. I know what’s in my head and what I want it to sound like, but transferring that vision to my fingers/keyboard isn’t always cut and dry. I like that you’re thinking about this as a process of trust. It is, really. You have to trust yourself and the hypothetical reader (or the physical one in case of peer-review or Ray) to be OK with the first draft of things. Then, you have to trust the revision process. Things can’t always come out perfectly right away.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts,
    Miriam