Post 9

Orwell’s account is really interesting, because he goes through his major phases of writing. He expresses different reasonings for his writing, and for which any writer writes, but he also alludes to his own success as a writer, finding the one true tic that could allow him to produce “artwork.” He is best known for his works Animal Farm and then 1984, political and social critiques of his era and his predictions of the future. Seeing into the mind of a literary genius is always fun, and he has cool things to say. I also agree with many of things he points out.

He argues that any writer wants to or at least starts out wanting to write out of sheer egoism, among other things. This was definitely true for me growing up and even sometimes still. I oftentimes feel unmotivated to actually write about things, and sometimes the easiest motivation can be found in convincing myself of possible self-glory… Or even just the prospect of writing something that sounds good – and I think the idea of writing something that sounds good just sounds awful, and that oftentimes led to cycle of convincing myself to write then convincing myself that writing for these reasons is usually silly. Anyways, much of the writing we are accountable for is meant to be shared with others and meant to express our unique outlooks and research perspectives. Of course I want those who read my work to find it interesting and profound. In breaking out of this habit, however, I have been able to find my voice in my writing.

Writing for this class has helped me write with my voice, my opinions, and my informed (or uninformed) perspective on the world. I have been able to write uninhibited by the pressure to be smart of profound, just honest. I know that if I write work that is bound is research and that personal, political, social tic that Orwell speaks to, I will write work that represents me, and that is all I can ask for in my writing. Writing about my neighborhood and the issues that bother me and intrigue me has been a wonderful experience. I have discovered that I can have opinions of complex topics and I can learn enough to write about these topics and share them with experts. It is scary and anxious at times, but it is the only way I can really learn from others and take a step forward in my writing in that arena.

2 thoughts to “Post 9”

1. Hi Wyatt,

It’s great to see that you enjoyed reading Orwell’s piece! I had read 1984 and Animal Farm so I was somewhat familiar of him as a writer, but like you, I like seeing into the mind of a literary genius. Additionally, I liked your reaction to his motive on sheer egoism. From what you wrote, it seems like you identify most with it because why write if the piece you are writing will not in some way lead to self-glory. For me, I enjoy writing just to write. I like the way words come together and the feeling of saying something on paper you may never be able to verbalize. In that way, I kind of disagree that much of the writing we are accountable for is meant to be shared with others because I mostly write for myself.

I also like what you said about how this class lets your be honest in your writing. That’s something I’ve definitely found to ring true for me. I think it’s easy to get caught up, especially in college, in sounding articulate and intelligent when you write. But, in this class, that has never been a pressure for me and I think that’s a good thing! I also am excited to read more about your neighborhood because although it can scare you or make you anxious at times, I do believe you have a story worth telling!

2. Hi Wyatt! I also agreed with what you said about sheer egoism. I think it’s easy to first “get into” writing because of egoism. I know that part of me always wanted to come across as intelligent, and I think that was a result of me being quiet. I think that as we all grow as writers though, we’ll feel more comfortable writing because what we have to say is important to us, and that’s it. I think it’s cool that you’re so into your topic, and now that you know so much about it, you can actually contribute to important conversations regarding it.