Self reflection versus evaluation

It’s interesting to really think about how valuable writing is in the world today, especially with entertainment. All the movies, television shows, and music that we immerse ourselves into generally have some form of a written background, whether it be lyrics or a script. Yet, people are often hesitant to have a major or minor on this important ability, out of fear of not obtaining a job. So, it should stand that those who choose to specialize in this skill should try to have their writing improved in the way they see fit, right? They need to make sure to get their metaphorical bang for their buck, so it would serve best to improve their writing in areas that are lacking with individual attention from their instructors.

Except that’s not true in the slightest.

When I started the minor in writing, I wanted to purify my writing of inorganic constitution, a pretty vague and abstract concept in of itself. I was expecting this goal to be accomplished through crafting various essays and obtaining others’ opinions on how to deal with this issue. I was worried that bias towards my own writing would inhibit me from seeing this issue fully.

Again, another misconception I had.

With my remediation project, I had to do countless revisions of my script. Wanting to mimic the style present in The Daily Show and Last Week Tonight, I had to make sure that my writing was precise and to the point in order to keep the audience’s attention. As a result, I had to eliminate many convoluted sentences and minimize the “fluffy” language I often utilized. Indirectly, I accomplished the goal I set for myself initially through my own revision and editing, not through another’s. While other people certainly read my script and left comments, none of them were on the writing itself but more so the content. In the end, only you can help yourself improve your writing. Through careful self reflection of what one has written, an individual ultimately becomes the only individual who can truly help in the improvement of his or her own writing.

With writing, it is much more complex than just fixing what is “wrong,” because there really is no true wrong with writing. Yes, there is grammar, formats, and various other rules and regulations in place, but at the end of the day, this is all done to make the reader better understand what the writer is trying to say. This was something I did not fully comprehend when I first started the gateway class, but is something I find incredibly fascinating. I feel like the saying “you are your own worst enemy” is coined, but I feel that this is quite applicable when it comes to improving your own writing.

Robert Molnar

Just someone who enjoys Netflix, music, and tennis. I also write a little.