Send Help

This remediation project is stressing me out. I feel because I have already done a blog and an advice column I should do something on the opposite end of the spectrum like a blog post or a short film. What I was thinking of doing for the remediation project was either a children’s book or a storyboard. It is something that I have never done before and I think it could be interesting to explore that side of writing.

I am in the process of exploring models right now. I want to tell a story, whether that be in the style of a picture children’s book or a storyboard. I want to incorporate a lesson that I leaned while studying abroad but be able to deliver that message in a different way. My advice column was very literal and direct. In my remediation I want to convey a different message in a completely new context. I do not remember the last time I looked at a children’s book. From what I remember my favorite was “Oh The Places You’ll Go” by Dr. Suess and “Rainbow Fish” by Marcus Pfister. It is a completely different style of writing that I am very interested in working with. What I am learning from these two works is that since they are targeted towards children they is always a lesson or message imbedded in the work.

Although making a video or podcast would be a totally opposite medium, I want to stay in the spectrum of classic writing. I have also thought to possibly incorporate video as the presentation model of the book in order to have a different presentation mode. I hope to get some more advice on the direction I should take!

Allison Skaggs

Hello all! My name is Allison Skaggs and I am a junior at Michigan. I am from Orange County, California and decided to come to Michigan for a different kind of college experience! Currently, I am on the women's varsity water polo team and plan on majoring in Sport Management. Some things I enjoy during my time off are reading, swimming, attending sports games, and spending time with friends and family.

2 thoughts to “Send Help”

1. This is such a cool idea, Allison!! From the minute you told me in class I was really impressed by your creativity and boldness. I think staying within classic writing does not hinder the creativity or re-mediation of this project because the audiences are so completely different. “Rainbow Fish” was also one of my favorites along with “Where the Wild Things Are.” I think there is a lot to discuss going into your plan and model regarding how to transfer your personal experiences into a story that conveys a message intended for children. Can’t wait to discuss further in class tomorrow!

2. Hi Allison,
    I absolutely understand how you are feeling..here we go again with another sizable venture in writing! While you have already expressed your previous work through the blog and advice column outlets, I might suggest you try the short film path this time around, versus the blog post. I am sort of bias because I plan on doing a short film too, but a lot can be said for how a storyboard can be developed through use of video.

But I would mostly take it from Steven Spielberg, who once said “Every time I go to a movie, it’s magic, no matter what the movie’s about”. Short or long, new themes or old, film has a tremendous impact on shaping images of the world we live in. Even if you do not feel quite up to doing the short film for your potential storyboard, I would venture the risk and go for it, even if you only are searching for a form of presentation model.