Blog 11: It’s All Happening

Courtesy of giphy.com
Courtesy of giphy.com

Well, the end is nearing my friends, and like Kate Hudson so prophetically states in the movie Almost Famous, “It’s all happening.” Not just “all” is happening, but rather at this point in the semester, for me and many others, it seems like way too much is happening. I know this is supposed to be a reflection on the gateway course and our time this semester, and I promise I’ll get there, but sticking to the movie references and touching on the fact that way too much is happening, I’m starting to feel like Jack from Titanic. My sanity and any sort of free time is Rose, and she was holding on there for a minute, but the girl has officially dropped me into the depths of my insane amount of work, and I am definitely drowning. I AM DROWNING. It’s okay though, because I’m looking at Kate Hudson’s wise words, I’m envisioning myself as her, and since she rocks, and I have convinced myself I am her, I’m going to be a-okay. I hope no one is totally freaked that convincing myself I’m a celebrity is what gets me through hard times, although I’m aware it might be somewhat concerning.

Want to know what rocks, though? The fact that if I had chosen to write about Kate Hudson all semester, or if I wanted to chronicle my weird obsession with pop-culture for the entire term, the gateway course wouldn’t have questioned me, it would have encouraged me. This course, the projects I’ve done within it, and what I’ve learned about myself as a writer have been nothing short of insanely rewarding. This is going to sound so, so bizarre, and my friends make fun of me for it all the time, but I always refer to these feelings I get in my stomach/body during different times of the year. For example, when I think about summer I get this feeling of bliss and relaxation that washes over me. It’s a feeling that mirrors whatever emotional state or sense I was experiencing at the time, and I can’t explain it. I just feel it. This semester, every time I’ve sat down to work on something for the minor, every time I’ve walked into class and any time I’ve discussed my work with my peers in the minor, or even my friends who still can’t fully understand why in the world I’ve been photographing random people around Ann Arbor and asking them questions about humor for the past couple of weeks, I’ve gotten this same, great feeling. It’s a feeling of inspiration and comfort, and it’s one that was pretty much established within the first month of this course.

The gateway has allowed me to establish a greater sense of confidence and pride in my work. I’ve been encouraged to pursue writing I love, and the fact that the environment is so comfortable has made it easy for me to push myself. Even though I’m drowning in work right now, just sitting here to type out this blog post for class is giving me a sense of comfort and inspiration. No, I’m not inspired to drop out of school and pursue acting like Kate Hudson, but yes I am inspired to keep writing. I’m really going to miss the “Writing 220 feeling in my stomach” I’ll experience when looking back on the course, and I’ll, inevitably, have a hard time articulating the feeling to anyone, which is ironic being that articulation is usually a writer’s strongest skill.

Rebecca Soverinsky

Rebecca is a Junior (please send help for her mental state in accepting this and a walker for her aging body) studying Communications at the University of Michigan. She believes award show season is the best season (shout out to E! News) and is always willing to take on a challenge or learn something new- as long as there is Nutella involved. She hopes to learn as much as she can from the Sweetland Minor in Writing, and she's excited to see what's in store.

2 thoughts to “Blog 11: It’s All Happening”

1. Hi Rebecca,

It sounds like you’re going through essentially the same stuff I (and each and every other 30,000 undergraduate student here) is going through – work, work, and more work. But I’m glad to see that you’re taking such a positive perspective on it. You’re right, the Gateway course has provided us more or less absolute freedom on these projects we’re undertaking, and even if there is a lot due at the same time coming up, it’s no one’s fault but our own. We’re the ones who chose these projects, and so in a perfect world, we’re just doing stuff that we like. Good luck getting everything you need to get done as the semester winds down. I and the rest of the Sweetland fam will be rooting for you!

2. I love how you said “if I wanted to chronicle my weird obsession with pop-culture for the entire term, the gateway course wouldn’t have questioned me, it would have encouraged me.” I totally agree. It seems that the older I get, the crazier ideas I have, the more I want to branch out to try that new thing. Like, oooo ballroom dancing, let’s do that, glassblowing? sure! Spoken word poetry? Why the heck not?! I love how the minor is tailored so much to our needs. In a perfect world, the minor in writing would be my major. Alas, things can not be so…But meanwhile, we are learning so much. Tapping into our inner passions and capabilities we might not have even knew we had. My advice? Rock on.