My swan song for writing 220

So, I’m supposed to give advice to future minor in writing students.

Advice on what? I’m not sure exactly.

Am I supposed to give you advice on how to be successful in this class? That’s easy. Make a blog post once a week, comment on your blog group’s blog posts, and do the projects assigned to you. Pretty self explanatory, nothing overly complicated.

Am I supposed to give you advice on how to deal with overwhelming amounts of writing you may have assigned? Time management is honestly the only thing I can think of, and is something I am still struggling to perfect.

To me, these are all superficial pieces of advice, something you can probably find on ratemyprofessor or any buzzfeed article regarding how to be successful in classes and not be overwhelmed.

I’m going to focus on advising how to gain as much as you can from the class. To me, I believe that this is the most pivotal and crucial information you can obtain from me. It’s hard to take something away from a history, chemistry, math, or Spanish class. While you do learn from them, there’s nothing you can gain from the class other than knowledge about the subject. This is what makes this program in writing so amazing: you learn about yourself. You learn about your darkest fears, your highest hopes, search the inner recesses of your mind and soul to find out about yourself as a writer, and ultimately a human being.

So, don’t be afraid to go out on a limb and try new things. Make a movie, a comic, a podcast, song, website, whatever you want. This is honestly the time in your life to try these things because it is not as high of stakes as you think. Everyone in the class works with you, admires the leaps and bounds you make, and try their best to make sure that you succeed in the end. Let your creative juices flow, explore the wide variety of mediums available to write in, because honestly, how many times are you going to write in a medium that is not a traditional academic essay? Plus, you can learn new skills that will surely help you in the future and can brag about how amazing you are with said tools.

Interact with your classmates. They’re all gifted in the art of writing, and will undoubtedly contribute to your success as a writer. Don’t be afraid to ask them for advice and give it to them, realize that they are in the same position as you are. It’s such a small and tightly knit class where you all share the same passion; revel in this opportunity of being with like-minded individuals.

Finally, have fun with the class. Write about what you want to write, not what you think will get you an A. In the end, that’s what will make or break this program for you; deciding whether you have fun. This isn’t a program to help you become better at writing analytical essays or to teach you a new vocabulary of sophisticated words. It’s a program that will help you understand why you write, and will ultimately change you as a person and as a writer. Go along with the ride, and enjoy this opportunity to truly express yourself. Just make sure that it is an enjoyable trip.

This may seem like abstract advice, but this is what I’ve gathered while reflecting on my last blog post for writing 220. It has been one hell of a journey¬†with a truly¬†amazing group of talented people who will undoubtedly change the world with their writing. This is the beginning of my minor in writing, the first of many more classes I will take to complete this program. And I can’t wait to see what the future holds for me.

Anyway, I digress. If any curious minors have any specific questions about the program, feel free to reach out to me. My email’s rjmolnar@umich.edu, and I will happily answer any questions.

Stay true to yourself

Robert Molnar

Just someone who enjoys Netflix, music, and tennis. I also write a little.

One thought to “My swan song for writing 220”

1. While looking through the advice pieces for something that spoke to me, I was looking for something outside of the confines of, “do x y and z to do well in this class.” Because to me, doing well in a class grade-wise does not define success in that class. When I sign up for a class I want to get the most out of it, so what I was looking for in the advice posts was just that: how to get the most out of my short time in the Gateway. I really appreciated the reminder to enjoy the ride and to not be afraid to take risks. I know that I for one could very easily ruin a class’s experience by taking it “too seriously” or getting “too stressed” about deadlines and grades. I also know that it is easy to avoid taking risks out of fear that it will result in a worse grade. Going forward now, I will focus on just enjoying the class for what it is, and thereby getting the most out of the class as possible.