Pouring concrete on air

Who knew something as simple as finding out why and how you write could be such an intricate process?

When I had this project assigned to me, I thought it would be fairly straightforward; an internal reflection on why and how you write, and nothing more. I made the foolish mistake of thinking that it was something I could crank out in a few hours tops.

Here’s the thing though: that assignment has been clawing at the recesses of my brain for the past few days.

Why am I having such grievances over a seemingly easy assignment?

It’s not because I don’t have an answer, I most certainly do: the problem lies with me constructing my answer as a concrete and evidence based answer. My reason for why and how I write is not something simple, such as so I can complete my assignments, get a job, so on and so forth. While those are certainly positive results that emerge from my writing, those are not the reasons why I write.

I write because I find the craft to be enjoyable. I like being able to articulate the complex ideas, appreciate the meaning behind certain words, instilling beautiful imagery into the minds of my readers out of nothing. I find the art of writing to be beautiful, simple as that.

Therein lies┬áthe problem though: how can I base my evidence upon beauty? Such a subjective quality, and it varies from person to person. All I can rely upon is hoping that my reader shares similar emotions with me when it comes to writing, which is a poor way to construct an argument. It’s like trying to pour concrete on air; nothing’s going to emerge except a giant puddle of wet cement. Hopefully someone will appreciate the oozing pile that I will leave behind.

Other than that, I’ve enjoyed the introspective analysis of my own being. The meta-physical search proved to not only allow me to better understand myself as a writer, but as a student and as a human as well.

Robert Molnar

Just someone who enjoys Netflix, music, and tennis. I also write a little.

One thought to “Pouring concrete on air”

1. Robert — I too ran into the issue of providing “concrete” evidence for my Why and How I write paper. I think that Beauty is a perfectly valid reason to want to write, and there’s probably more evidence than you’d think to support that reason.
    My first piece of advice is not to worry about finding the “right” evidence. As you continue to draft and revise, keep in mind that the first few iterations of the paper don’t have to be perfect. It’s a lot more helpful to get all of that meta-physical, musing-y stuff out of you onto a piece of paper so you can finesse it/clean it up with greater ease. Also, you can look at some of the more abstact points you make and tie in certain examples, personal or otherwise, that help support those points. Concrete evidence doesn’t mean evidence that’s published by a fancy journal or exists only in an analytical realm. Concrete evidence simply refers to something that exists that supports a claim. You may have more to pull from than you think, if you keep that in mind.