Tbh: Reflective Writing is Hard

I don’t like eportfolios. They’re too much. It’s so hard trying to reflect when you’re far away from the process. I wish we could’ve written reflectively and purposefully for the eportfolio right after we finished our projects.

That being said, I’m very happy with the photo on my site. I’d be lying if I didn’t say I designed the entire site around it. I’m happy with how most pages look, besides repurposing. if i could change anything I would make that page a slideshow of documents/screenshots with edits in the margin. I completely gave up on not having a lot of text. Hopefully I’ll master finding the right balance in the capstone course.

The process is odd because you have to build a consistent infrastructure before you do anything else, but at the same time have enough wiggle room for different things. And that infrastructure has to be aesthetically pleasing and be representative of who you are as a person. Well it doesn’t have to do any of those things, but I want it to! That was probably one of the most time consuming parts.

I achieved my purpose of presenting myself as a writer. Did I do it well, I’m not sure. It was hard to create a theme or guiding principle behind the site, because it’s not real. Like we’re inspired by things and we write about them and they are linked because of the topic. But incorporating why i write and outside work makes it very hard to thematically link everything together. So that took a lot of brainstorming. My theme came about when I was trying to create a cover page/home page. I didn’t have a photo that didn’t use text (because there would be too much text if I added my name underneath or on top or below, which I ended up not doing anyway). So I had to improvise. I got pretentious. I wanted to say something amusing like the profile that starts off  “stuff i wrote” or the life’s a bitch/beach one. So that’s where that stemmed from. And that awkwardness continued into my faq page. Which is embarrassing but very me, and very inspired by Baratunde Thurston’s How to Be Black site.

Overall I’m not happy with the reflective writing. I think I was just unable to grasp that part of the assignment. I want to work on reflective writing, because it’s kinda hard. We don’t learn to do that all the time. We learn to write the stuff we write the reflection on.

http://kcchanel.wix.com/portfolio

Kennedy Clark

Kennedy is a Sociology major with an ineptness for exposition and an excessive love for Michigan basketball and pretzels.